What's happening in your shed?

nice- i used to join the headstock purfling to the FB purfling just like that- tricky stuff but i dont bother anymore....although i might have to think about it again now im probably going to continue with the FB/nut ledge. I think I will still sit the nut full width though and not enclose it like a saddle as you do (although it looks better your way) it means the FB (at the nut) is binding + purfling x 2 wider then is needs to be if one wants the strings to remain the same distance in form the edge and have some nut material left on the edges to hold the strings in.
I come in about 4mm each side of the nut edge for the outside strings.

If you look just at the nut, it's pretty standard. The fretboard is wider by the binding x2. Yup, my fretboards are wider, by about 1/8". Oddly enough, that's another thing not always noticed. Comments I've had mostly is "it's easy to play", but that's probably a combination of variables, including neck shape.

My adaptation of a Chinese copy of a Korean replica of a Japanese rip off of an American classic. The Fenwick Rodmaster Bass.
Solid tassie oak body, karri fretboard, blackbutt bridge bone saddle, under saddle generic piezo ubass pickup generic 9volt bass preamp.
20190406_175319.jpg
20190406_175336.jpg

I recently had an opportunity to teach my 15 year old neighbor how to build an ukulele. He had no previous wood working experience but was sharper than most adults I've had in my shop. Here's what we came up with.

Attachments

• P1060075.jpg
    P1060075.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 85
  • P1060074.jpg
    P1060074.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 84
What a wonderful experience for the young fella! It sounds as though he's a natural.

John Colter.

How I spent my winter here in Florida

6 finished. 3 concerts, 3 tenors. Two on the concerts a commissions. A humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa and a blue heron

Attachments

• IMG_20190407_150832.jpg
    IMG_20190407_150832.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20190407_150926.jpg
    IMG_20190407_150926.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20190407_154335.jpg
    IMG_20190407_154335.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20190407_153350.jpg
    IMG_20190407_153350.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 74
Not much in the Ukulele Dept. But building a bunch of other instruments. A walnut Tele thin line and two P basses, one Cocobolo and one flamed maple 1234F44F-4670-4F55-9AFC-6D0F6671EB90.jpg8C2C32C4-C3C2-4CE4-BB94-17C1862D738F.jpg

6 finished. 3 concerts, 3 tenors. Two on the concerts a commissions. A humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa and a blue heron

...those are lovely jupiteruke. Any tips on inlaying into lighter woods? Assuming there's a bit of glue/dust gap filler - did you darken it?

...those are lovely jupiteruke. Any tips on inlaying into lighter woods? Assuming there's a bit of glue/dust gap filler - did you darken it?

I generally use sawdust and CA as a 'filler' round the inlay. Sawdust with CA will however darken quite a bit, so in lighter colored woods cutting real close is required, to minimize the filler. In this case the casuarina has a much lighter sapwood, so I used more sapwood sawdust than heartwood to lighten things up a bit. I have also gone to the art supply store, with a wood sample, and have bought stick pastels. These come in a huge variety of colors, so I get some that match, and some lighter variants. Then one simply scrubs the pastel across a piece of paper to give dust. You can blend the dust with lighter colors to get a pretty good match. (Necessary to test with CA first, the darkening effect can be pronounced.) Rub the dust in the gap, hit it with thin CA, and you are good to go.

Captaon-Janeway - yes those are zero frets. I build all my instruments with a zero fret. Makes setup soooooo much easier and more accurate. The zero fret gets leveled with the other frets, and the nut is just to maintain string spacing, so when the strings go on the only adjustment is the saddle height, and when you get the action set, is is set perfectly at the nut end.

JFEDMcS.jpg

5FBEpW5.jpg

Last edited:
More progress on the tenor uke and classical tenor guitar. Time to cut out the side sound ports. I'm working on machining a ring from Sycamore for a bit of contrast on the uke port. The guitar port will be plain.

DSCF8103.jpgDSCF8104.jpg

I do french polishing to walmut/spruce tenor ukulele. I like it. No mask, just sittin on sofa, listening music, smelling wonderful smell of alcohol. It's relaxing, and it is nice to see when instrument is more and more shiny. It takes some time, but so takes any other way to finish. View attachment 117984

Top Bottom