Hawaiian Airlines Carry On

Stealth

Reaction score
Aloha, will be coming to Kauai in a week and want to bring my uke (its a tenor) and have an Ameritage hard case. Wondering if anyone has had any problems with carrying their uke on board Hawaiian Air?

Thanks...

I had no trouble on either Hawaiian Airlines or United Airlines when I carried my tenor onboard in a Kamoa fiberglass case. In case you meet with resistance, you should have this YouTube video, called "United Breaks Guitars," cued up on your smartphone and show it to any airline employees who ask you to check your ukulele as baggage.

Just plan on picking up a new one when you arrive.

I had taken my uke on Hawaiian Air in November with no problem.

Same here. Brought a Kanile'a tenor all the way back from Kauai to England on Hawaiian and United (4 flights in total) last September. Nobody batted an eyelid.

I travel frequently on Hawaiian, always with a tenor uke and have never had a problem. I no longer have an Ameritage but I carried one multiple times on Hawaiian with no problems. Have a nice trip. :)

Thanks everyone! I had read on a previous thread that there might be some problems because someone got hassled on Hawaiian but now I am not so worried. I know the Ameritage is a little big but I love the protection.

You don't have a thing to worry about. Just try not to hurt anyone with that Ameritage. You could take out a kid, or an old lady. auway

I've carried a tenor on hawaiian, delta and Horizon (subsidiary of Alaska) no problems. Last time we also carried two violins and a concert uke (we chickened out on the 8th size cello)

I travel to from Hawaii once a month or more and everytime I take my uke with me. This subject seems to resurface in the threads a couple times a year and there are lots of previous threads covering it. Below is a copy of a post I made on those previous threads. There are a couple things that I would like to add, first: Hawaiian Airlines is by far the most accommodating when it comes to traveling with ukuleles, they are amazing (any airline that employs two Kamaka brothers as pilots and Taimane Gardner's mom as a flight attendant can't be bad). Second, Allegiant is the worst, they will charge you to take any ukulele on board unless it is a tiny soprano and you take it instead of your personal item (purse or laptop). :

"As an Airline Pilot I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents. I bring my Kala travel uke with me EVERYWHERE. I often jumpseat on airlines other then my own so I have lots of experience in this area. Here is my advice:
1 - NEVER, EVER check or gate check your ukulele - NEVER
2- TSA - The rules state that you can carry on one instrument in addition to your carry on and personal item. They don't always know the rules, they are poorly trained and are performing an unskilled task for a meanial amount. Therefor you can surmise the level of employee they recruite. Arguing does no good, simply ask to speak to their supervisor and tell them to refer to TSA.gov website section pertaining to: Transporting Musical Instruments, then politly explain the rules.
3 - Kindness and niceness go along way, however the gate agent (the person who collects the tickets) is your biggest obstacle. If the gate agent attempts to make you gate check your uke tell her, "I carry it on all the time, if it doesn't fit I would be happy to gate check it", however don't forget rule one.
4 - Now that you have gotten past the gate agent there are two more obsticles. First, if you are carrying something bigger then a soprano there may be a lack of overhead bin space. The only way you have to combat this is to be ready to que up as soon as the gate agent calls ready to board. Boarding is usually done by seating sections, one first etc. (unless your flying on southwest) be the first in your section to board to ensure overhead bin space.
5 - If there is no overhead bin space this brings us the next obstacle, the flight attendant. If there is no more overhead space there are several options. There are always coat closets, even on the smallest planes. On some of the smaller planes the coat closet is reserved for the crew. Again kindness goes along way. The crew wants to get the plane out on time and not get blamed for a delay. Ask nicely if you can place it in the coat closet, if they tell you the closet is full or there is no closet ask if you can place it in the crew's closet. If they still refuse, tell them on the last flight the Captain placed the uke in his closet and ask if they will ask this captain if he will do the same. As a Captain I always accomodate instruments, even full size guitars. If you still don't have any luck, look for open seats on the plane. An instruments may be place in an empty seat as long as: 1)The case has some kind of handle to secure the instrument to the seat with the seat belt 2) The instrument is not placed in an exit row 3) The instrument is not so tall as to block any signs (no smoking, fasten seat belt etc.)
If after using all this information you still are being asked to check or gate check you uke, ask your self this question, is the health of my uke more important then the time it would take to wait for the next flight. If you value your uke ask to be put on the next flight, you will probably have a different gate agent and a different flight attendant. I hope this helps all you traveling musicians. If you have any more question feel free to send me a private message."

Top Bottom