Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohana Vita?

Default Ohana Vita?

I'm looking to buy a new concert uke to replace my beginners one. I posted elsewhere for advice on spending up to £150 but I've only had 2 replies.
    However I'd like something a bit different and I'm really drawn to the Ohana Vita and it fits my price range.
    Is it a good choice or is there a better buy to be had in a concert uke for a max of £150?

Thanks
    Ed

Hi camperman, I know nothing of the Ohana Vita. That might be why you didn't get many replies if people have no experience with the Vita. However Ohana is a good dependable brand so I say, go for it. I have always been interested in the Mideast ukes that Mike has on UkeRepublic. I think they are Luteuleles.
    RoxHum

"Music self-played is happiness self-made"

Sopranos: Donaldson (Myrtle), Kamaka (Koa), 2 Mainland's (Cedar/Rosewood & Mahogany),
    Nahenahe (Mahogany) (Thank you Stan)
    Concert: Mainland Classic Mahogany (low G)
    and one flashy white and gold Titano accordion

The Ohana Vita scale is soprano, so if you need the extra fret spacing of a concert, you should probably keep looking. If scale isn't that important to you, I think the Ohana Vita is one of the best sounding ukes in its price range. I love mine! I started out playing classical guitar and dabbling in uke a little bit....the vita made me fall in love with the uke.
    Last edited by missameeames; 04-16-2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Grammar....

I have two Ohana Vita ukes - both have spruce tops. The first I won from Making Music Magazine - laminated mahogany body, no-name tuners (had to replace them, because the buttons cracked and broke, but Ohana sent me a set for free!), and the second I got a couple of months back from forum member scdano, who got it from Mim. It has the laminated rosewood body, and grover open gear tuners.

I have Worth Clear strings on the older one, and the original Aquila strings on the rosewood - going to try the new oasis strings on it in a week or so. They both are loud or soft, as you need, play well, and have helped me - by virtue of being soprano scale necks - use a softer touch with my fretting hand, which has improved my overall playing.

The MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) is up there, but the street price for the uke runs around $170-180 US, and the hard case runs about $80 US. So call it $260 US, plus shipping and VAT, and you are probably past your £150 target. I'd suggest checking with Mim or Mike at UkeRepublic, and see what they can do for you.

Good Luck!

-Kurt
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by missameeames View Post
    The Ohana Vita scale is soprano, so if you need the extra fret spacing of a concert, you should probably keep looking. If scale isn't that important to you, I think the Ohana Vita is one of the best sounding ukes in its price range. I love mine! I started out playing classical guitar and dabbling in uke a little bit....the vita made me fall in love with the uke.
    the one I reviewed was a concert
    http://ukeeku.com/2012/01/08/ohana-c...e-full-review/
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

Quote Originally Posted by ukeeku View Post
    Mine measures 13.75 inches from nut to saddle (same as my Koaloha Pineapple soprano). Maybe mine is an oddball/defective one? The body is definitely more concert sized, it fits in a regular concert foam case and the model number would lead you to believe it's a concert, but the neck feels like a soprano (which is part of the reason why I love it...I'm definitely a soprano gal).

ETA: Here's a post from Ken Middleton that says it's a soprano with a bigger body:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...lid-Spruce-Top
    Last edited by missameeames; 04-16-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    Lanikai LU-21A * Anuenue U900 Rabbit * Makai MC-70 * Eleuke Peanut * Ohana Vita Uke * Firefly * Risa Uke Solid Soprano * KPK Concert Cutaway * Koaloha Pineapple Soprano * Pono MS * KoAlana Concert * Pono MB * Kala UBass * Yamaha Guitalele

my confusion is in where it is on the ohana site
    http://www.ohana-music.com/index.php...category_id=85
    Weird
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

I think they have it listed with concert, because it is a concert body.

But the neck is definitely soprano.

-Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by ukeeku View Post
    my confusion is in where it is on the ohana site
    http://www.ohana-music.com/index.php...category_id=85
    Weird
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Everything above noted.

Adding this: laminate back and sides, but solid spruce top, which is what really matters.

Oh, and it's loud. Louder than any other ukulele I have heard. It may even be able to keep up with banjo ukuleles, it's that loud. I love it for old-time jazz standards.
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---
    Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
    Join the Vita ukulele group
    Join the Brüko ukulele owners group

The other alternative I'd suggest would be the Clearwater roundback concert - I have the tenor version and it's great! Spookily similar to Ohana's version of the same thing - but I got mine reduced via Amazon, down from £110 to £60 as it was B Stock. The concert was a tenner cheaper. The deal is no longer on (or at least I can't find it) but it's another good concert within your price range, even at full price.......
    Keith

Mahalo 2020 Soprano - or at least it used to be! http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...akeover-Thread
    Aria ACU-250 Concert
    Clearwater UCW7T Tenor
    Epiphone Les Paul Concert
    Fender 52 Telecaster Concert

Thread Information