Practice- am I doing this right ?

bobO G

Reaction score
So I've had my Uke's a couple weeks now, a lanikai u21T and a makala concert and what I have been doing is everyday I practice chords , once a week I concentrate on strumming and once a week I concentrate on learning new
chords. Then once a week on musical theory. I try to pick up something new everyday, just started on scales and try a little picking practice everyday. Now I'm not in a hurry and wonder if I'm approaching this whole thing correctly. Any tips ? Also down the road I want to tune the tenor to low G and leave the concert as is, is this a good idea ? Thanks for any help.

If you are making progress with your skills, meeting your goals, and having fun, it sounds to me like you are doing it right!

Sounds good to me. As long as you're having a good time with it and you're not getting overwhelmed, you're good!

I had a teacher that liked to use the saying, "the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time". That definitely applies here. Just learn a little at a time and take 'er slow. Sounds like you're doing that.

I'm really not sure who would actually want to eat an elephant though....

There is no right or wrong way. It sounds like you are being very methodical, and if you are a person who derives a certain amount of satisfaction from "order" and "method" then this is quite possibly the best way for you to learn. The key for anyone is to keep it fun. If what you are doing becomes a chore then you are probably doing something "wrong" and need to look at what you might do to put some spice back into playing.

In some ways learning to play an instrument is kind of like maintaining a relationship with a spouse or good friend - if what you are doing is fun and productive then it is a good thing. If it is becoming a boring routine or you are not making any progress at all then you might want to look at shaking things up a bit - take the spouse to a restaraunt neither of you have tried - or learn a country song on the ukulele even though you despise country music. :)

John

I'm a newbie too, so take this with a grain of salt: Unless you are in a rush, there probably is no right or wrong way. Personally, I learn "things" better if I have a practical application for them. For example, instead of just learning chords for the sake of learning chords, I looked at some easier songs (that use simple chords and that I liked) and strummed along with the videos. Similarly, earlier last week I noticed that my rhythm was off, so I downloaded a metronome app to my iPad and spent a couple days practicing strumming with the metronome. Then, in the past couple days I was curious about finger picking, so I tracked down Ukulele Mike's tab for Ode to Joy, watched some videos on various picking approaches, and started "playing" the tune. Admittedly, study-wise I'm all over the place and this may not be efficient, but I'm having fun and I think I'm also improving.

And tomorrow? Who knows! Whatever will tickle my fancy. The beautiful difference between a job and a hobby is that you have a good amount of freedom in deciding what you do, and when you do it. There are probably efficient study plans, and chord lists like the Bootcamp (which I also spend time on), but music to me is like a language: I didn't really learn English until I met a Canadian girl who I wanted to properly talk to. ;) (And to stick with that analogy, it is likely that I won't ever get deeply into music theory, just like I never spent any meaningful amounts of time on studying English grammar.)

But anyway, so early in your (our) ukulele career I figure that every minute you spend with the instrument will be a worthwhile investment, almost regardless of what you do.

It's such a great sound for me, It's my believe we should learn everyday something new and the man can do it if he have a fading power and keep struggling with work so I think you have a superb plan just keep yourself calm.

There is no right or wrong way. It sounds like you are being very methodical, and if you are a person who derives a certain amount of satisfaction from "order" and "method" then this is quite possibly the best way for you to learn. The key for anyone is to keep it fun. If what you are doing becomes a chore then you are probably doing something "wrong" and need to look at what you might do to put some spice back into playing.

In some ways learning to play an instrument is kind of like maintaining a relationship with a spouse or good friend - if what you are doing is fun and productive then it is a good thing. If it is becoming a boring routine or you are not making any progress at all then you might want to look at shaking things up a bit - take the spouse to a restaraunt neither of you have tried - or learn a country song on the ukulele even though you despise country music. :)

John

Nicely said John!
I wish I could put it down in words like you..

Thank you all, My main worry is ingraining bad habits , slow and sure is the way to go for me . When I first got my Ukes I was going to learn 3 chords and play hundreds of songs , lol. I love these little gems and want to do them justice. ric thank you for that resource, went right to the printer and into my case, it will be a great help. I just downloaded a metronome ( for free ) and I'm sure this will help. I've picked a song to learn first ( banana pancakes ) and with UU's help I'm well on my way to learning it. OH and by the way my fingers don't hurt any more WOOHOO ! Thanks again all , great community here .:cool:

Top Bottom