Buying a Uke: Setup vs. Stock

Probably looking at a solid top uke, somewhere around $150, as the next level above a beginner's uke. Typically under about $60 is a very basic, no frills uke that can be very playable or a piece of garbage. When you hit around a$100-150 you can get good quality laminates that will play well with a good set up. Around $150 or so will usually get you a solid topped instrument which is the next level of quality above most laminates. The solid top usually, bit not always, means a better, richer tone and sustain as it vibrates more free than a laminate plywood top. But that is not always the case as there are some very fine laminate models out there, often costing much more.

Here is my perspective as an ex-cellist. When I bought my first uke I totally forgot about the importance of set-up etc. I very soon remembered. If you play a decent cello, you are going to want a decent uke - unless you just want it as a novelty with a really plinky, slightly out of tune sound.

I agree with those who say a solid top instrument, properly set up by one of the dealers mentioned here. If you have to pay a few $$ more, it is worth it because places like HMS stand by their products so if you have any problems they will most likely help.

Top Bottom