$1k - Factory or Custom?

I was more interested in general ideas, and if the K's are still worth the $$$$ since they've upped-their-prices :(

To be honest though, I have been toying with the idea of a $1k concert. Only requirement is that it must be gloss finish.

If I was buying a ukulele for around $1000 I would pay the extra and get a Kamaka HF-3,
but with your parameters I would consider the Koaloha concert. Although, this is probably what I would actually end up buying.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/koaloha-pineapple-long-neck-ksm-03.html

like, a high gloss? a custom high gloss finish will be very expensive if you have a 1000 dollar limit, that would be my only concern. All my three favourite builders would build a beautiful, detailed customised concert uke for under 1000 but the gloss finish option is pushing it a bit. Otherwise, go 2nd hand in the marketplaces, always a bargain around.

anyway, good luck in the hunt Paul. s'pose you could go a new kamaka concert but my experience is their gloss finish tarnishes quite quickly with any kind of hard playing

Factory Kamaka.
Factory Martin.

Both can be had for under $1k.

My Martin 2M was under 900 clams.

Factory Kamaka.
Factory Martin.

Both can be had for under $1k.

My Martin 2M was under 900 clams.

I agree with the man behind the Fry-o-later.

I am a big fan of Kamaka and didn't have any issues with the finish on mine. I recommended Koaloha due to the O.P.s previous comments on wanting more "chime like" on a previous thread. Can't go wrong with either.

And he like loud ukes so Koaloha is a good choice!

Yes Daniel..I am playing my KoAloha super concert right now..and it is loud..if you want to stand out in a group of uke players get a KoAloha

like, a high gloss? a custom high gloss finish will be very expensive if you have a 1000 dollar limit, that would be my only concern. All my three favourite builders would build a beautiful, detailed customised concert uke for under 1000 but the gloss finish option is pushing it a bit. Otherwise, go 2nd hand in the marketplaces, always a bargain around.

anyway, good luck in the hunt Paul. s'pose you could go a new kamaka concert but my experience is their gloss finish tarnishes quite quickly with any kind of hard playing

Haha. The fact that Eugene has not one but three favorite builders is one of the reasons I took his advice in deciding on my first nice uke purchase. I still don't own a nice one yet but the custom route just seems like a lot more fun.

Last edited:
Links like this could a person in big trouble. A concert is on the horizon.

That is gorgeous! Beautiful koa with a nice rosette and MOP markers.

Imau ukes look very interesting too. Uke Republic has a great inventory to match their reputation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom