Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Strings - wound or un-wound low G; & brand preference, PhD, Living Water, Fremont etc

My Pono ATD came with Ko'olau Mahana strings: loud with some extra twang. I'll soon begin the stroll down happy String Lane. Looking forward to shedding the wound C. Though I do have a set of Kala Pearls waiting in the wings. Have a hard time right now thinking I'll like them.
    Why me?
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger."
    - Evan Eisenberg, Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2006, p. 151.

14:29044

Tri-Valley (East SF Bay Area) / Lahaina, HI

Unfortunately, I believe that may be an accurate statement, & here lies the decision: spend the fair degree of time & effort to swap six-bucks worth of strings, or procure something with a much better chance of making the cut(?) I believe I know which path I'd choose, but one can never be certain without committing the effort!

Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    Though I do have a set of Kala Pearls waiting in the wings. Have a hard time right now thinking I'll like them.
    Last edited by NoKaOi; 03-26-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Default Choose what sounds best on each uke

Hi All, when it comes to low G, many of you have seen my posts on strings as I have tried nearly every string for uke that's out there except for the Southcoasts. The new Fremont Soloist gold polished squeekless wound is FANTASTIC and is definitely my go to low G wound hands down by a mile over any other wound string out there today. It really is squeekless which I doubted but it is. I play mic'd and you cannot hear anything. I showed some folks this weekend at the UkeJam in SF.

I stumbled across it a few months ago and now it's on all my low G ukes and I even (don't be in shock) put it on my 1932 Martin 2 Soprano, and the sounds is unbelievable. I was able to get a Soprano string and Tenor string out of one string which is a bonus.

Now for many who don't like low G, there are a lot of really good strings on the market now and I would say you really have to try different sets on each uke to find the sound you are looking for that works for your particular uke. It is all personal taste, period.

I use Ph.D., Living Waters (re-entrant tuned and low G), and Savarez. Although the Fremont Blacklines sounded incredible this past week at my UKEJAM BY THE BAY 2013, where we played them on one of Toni's ukes from Anokoneke Ukuleles. Her uke sounded fantastic with them.

I think the Savarez and Living Waters are damn close in sound.
    I even custom built a set of strings on my Collings which gives me the exact sound I want on each string. I wanted a more resonant C string and so I have three different brand strings on that uke and it sounds amazing. Thus experimentation is bliss!

Good luck, and happy stringing.
    Keep on Uke'n!
    Jay
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JayUkulele/videos
    https://bandhub.com/ukulelejay#/collabs
    --------------------------------------------------
    "I only need just one more..." final last words to wife.

Tri-Valley (East SF Bay Area) / Lahaina, HI

Mahalo for the reply, Jay.. What would be your preference (or at least a good option in your opinion) for a balanced set to accompany the wound Fremont Soloist on a solid mahogany tenor (like your Gretsch..) ? This string has me intrigued, as I believe (for some strange reason) that I'm craving a wound low string on a mini-guitar.. (pardon the expression)

Quote Originally Posted by blue_knight_usa View Post
    Hi All, when it comes to low G, many of you have seen my posts on strings as I have tried nearly every string for uke that's out there except for the Southcoasts. The new Fremont Soloist gold polished squeekless wound is FANTASTIC and is definitely my go to low G wound hands down by a mile over any other wound string out there today. It really is squeekless which I doubted but it is. I play mic'd and you cannot hear anything. I showed some folks this weekend at the UkeJam in SF.

I stumbled across it a few months ago and now it's on all my low G ukes and I even (don't be in shock) put it on my 1932 Martin 2 Soprano, and the sounds is unbelievable. I was able to get a Soprano string and Tenor string out of one string which is a bonus.

Now for many who don't like low G, there are a lot of really good strings on the market now and I would say you really have to try different sets on each uke to find the sound you are looking for that works for your particular uke. It is all personal taste, period.

I use Ph.D., Living Waters (re-entrant tuned and low G), and Savarez. Although the Fremont Blacklines sounded incredible this past week at my UKEJAM BY THE BAY 2013, where we played them on one of Toni's ukes from Anokoneke Ukuleles. Her uke sounded fantastic with them.

I think the Savarez and Living Waters are damn close in sound.
    I even custom built a set of strings on my Collings which gives me the exact sound I want on each string. I wanted a more resonant C string and so I have three different brand strings on that uke and it sounds amazing. Thus experimentation is bliss!

Good luck, and happy stringing.

Thread Information