Mahogany back/sides red wood top?

The combination has potential if the wood on top is of a certain quality. Will someone else explain about the lines per inch for redwood, please?Any other things which need to be determined? The extememly figured redwood top on a Mike Pereira pineapple (MP Ukes) was a wonderful sounding instrument.

Aloha,
Tried several in different sizes at Mele Ukulele, all sounded good but I couldn't get past the look of the Redwood, looked like cardboard,haha... But they do sound great......................Bo..................

The combination has potential if the wood on top is of a certain quality. Will someone else explain about the lines per inch for redwood, please?Any other things which need to be determined? The extememly figured redwood top on a Mike Pereira pineapple (MP Ukes) was a wonderful sounding instrument.
Hm does just like a basic red wood sound really bad? Don't know if I could afford a higher grade or is it worth it to wait a little an get a higher grade?

Aloha,
Tried several in different sizes at Mele Ukulele, all sounded good but I couldn't get past the look of the Redwood, looked like cardboard,haha... But they do sound great......................Bo..................

Haha I don't really mind the look of it personally but I can see what you mean haha

I have a Talsma concert Vita style with redwood top, cuban mahogany back and sides and a Koolau tenor redwood top with walnut back and sides. Both look great and sound superb!

Let's put this one myth to rest....the number of lines per inch has nothing to do with the top being good or not.
More to the point, stiffness along and across the grain, and the degree to which the wood is quartersawn are more important factors. Stiffness is the key here. If a piece of wood is really stiff, and really light in weight, then the top can be worked thinner and can produce the tone people are after with proper bracing. Typically though, redwood gets worked a little less thin than spruce, which is normally a bit stiffer than redwood.
I have seen redwood tops that have very tight grain that are too floppy to use, and I have seen wide-grain redwood that was very stiff and had a great tap tone. A lot of old pre-war Martin guitars had spruce tops with wide grain, and today they are prized for their tone.

Top Bottom