Other hobbies/passions

Leaving aside family and work I love tall ship sailing. Not small yachts (even though this is somehow nice too), I love the bigger stuff (there's enough space to bring my uke...):
JWP-Cup2012(2).jpg

65m (~210ft) long, 1360m² (~14600 ft²) sails, built in 2011...

You might have seen her recently around Bahamas/Bermuda (no, not the one with green sails, known from Beck's beer commercials)

where do you do this? I've been itching to try this for a really, really long time, but I didn't know there were any tall ships based in Germany, I figured I'd have to go back to the States for that.

Aside from the guitars/ukes....

I restore classic cars (currently have the 68 GTO in my avatar all torn down/stripped - 400 cubic inch Ram Air II with 46K miles on it) and recently parted with a '63 LeMans V-8 convert.

Tropical fish - I've had fish tanks forever it seems. Currently have a few marine tanks (biggest at 120 gallons). Fund this hobby by breeding some clownfish, propagating corals.

Finally - a member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts (a roller coaster club). Have been on well over 300 coasters across the US & UK. Participated in several coaster openings/media days for coasters such as Top Thrill Dragster, Millenium Force, Kingda Ka and most recently the Kennywood Sky Rocket a couple of years ago. Also appeared in a few of the park tv ads.

View attachment 51086View attachment 51087View attachment 51089

Last edited:
Aside from the guitars/ukes....

I restore classic cars (currently have the 68 GTO in my avatar all torn down/stripped - 400 cubic inch Ram Air II with 46K miles on it) and recently parted with a '63 LeMans V-8 convert.

Tropical fish - I've had fish tanks forever it seems. Currently have a few marine tanks (biggest at 120 gallons). Fund this hobby by breeding some clownfish, propagating corals.

Finally - a member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts (a roller coaster club). Have been on well over 300 coasters across the US & UK. Participated in several coaster openings/media days for coasters such as Top Thrill Dragster, Millenium Force, Kingda Ka and most recently the Kennywood Sky Rocket a couple of years ago. Also appeared in a few of the park tv ads.

View attachment 51086View attachment 51087View attachment 51089

SWEET! That GTO is bitchin'!!! Reminds me of the '75 Camaro that I had in high school. Wish I'd a kept it!

I tried golf but was told that my problem was loft (which is short for lack of f***ing talent).

Spring/Summer/Fall is spent on a pontoon boat going nowhere slow with friends and eating good food. That and crewing on a friend's sailboat.

Winter can be brutal.

Golf...if I had as many ukes as I do extra golf clubs (not including the 14 I play with 3 times a week) I would have to add on a room! I'm retired and on a limited income, otherwise, if I was still working, I probably would have to add on a room! ;-D

This is such a great thread! I am having a great time learning what makes you all tick.
Besides the ones you all know about...
Aurora.jpg
I am all over the place- active mind they call it.
This is the one that applies to my handle here the most (four years ago...I can't take a new one. My wife will kill me if she sees how many I have now)
DSC08068.jpg
Built old bikes and cars for years, finally wound down there and weeded out the number of vehicles I pay insurance one (now we only have six for two drivers...sigh), have a weekly radio show, and oh yeah- and I am a boy who knits- rabidly. Keeps me from strangling someone ;)

Last edited:
where do you do this? I've been itching to try this for a really, really long time, but I didn't know there were any tall ships based in Germany, I figured I'd have to go back to the States for that.
In fact this is the only civil one. Look at www.alex-2.com for further details and/or PM me.

If you come to Hamburger Hafengeburtstag (9-12 May) I can give you a guided tour - and if you can't make it to Hamburg there's a few more occasions coming up (see the homepage for details)

Other than music, my favorite pastime is reading comic books. I'm a Marvel superheroes fan, but I read a bunch of different stuff (very little DC).

... and I am a boy who knits- rabidly. Keeps me from strangling someone ;)

It's nice to see a couple of guy fiber artists here! And some other knitters and crocheters. Are you all on Ravelry? I know kseigel is. (I redognize his avatar from there.) I'm BlueLatitude there too.

I used to play softball (hence my UU name -- I was #11 on a team called the Wicked Women) but haven't played in years. Now, my hobbies consist mainly of baking, traveling, reading, and being both a baseball ("Let's go Red Sox!") and political junkie (the DNC, RNC and Election Night are my Super Bowls). I've combined two of my hobbies by going to 28 of the 30 MLB stadiums (it had been all 30 before the Twins and Marlins got new ones, I'm going to the new Twins park this May so I'll be at 29 soon).

My latest obsession though is tattoos. I only have two (one drunken mistake in school, and one big Polynesian honu with the Hawaiian island chain inside of it). I am debating on a third but don't want to fall into the addiction phase. So instead I just watch all the tattoo shows on tv (Best Ink, Ink Master, etc.) and live vicariously though all of those people.

Last edited:
Aloha,
Fishing, mostly Surf Casting for Striped Bass, Halibut, Salmon, and when in Hawaii, Ulua..............

You back continent? We should go dunk or go whip then. bust out the `ukulele and beer too lol. Get couple other Hawai`i guys I fish with too.

As for me, I still fish small kine. Mostly for striper/halibut/perch, but I rock hop too and don't mind dunking bait. I clean and fix up reels for my friends too. I still surf. mostly bodyboard if I not lazy make the drive and then put on a wetsuit. I ride my road bike sometimes but that too is a chore. I still play basketball at work everyday, especially after I rehabbed from my acl tear and surgery. I'm a heavy sports fan and some friends and I started a sports blog. oh and I still collect baseball caps.

I'm still passionate in Native Hawaiian socio- and cultural politics, but I'm not as outwardly active as I once was. I still collect HCE/Pidgin literature, prefer ka leo ki`eki`e to Jawaiian, and grit my teeth when I see the misappropriation of the Hawaiian Culture, but I've learned to brush it off somewhat lol. My new thing this past couple years is growing kalo/taro in my dad's old fishpond in his backyard, since the raccoons kept eating up his koi and goldfish. Make my own poi and experimenting with laulau.

I've combined two of my hobbies by going to 28 of the 30 MLB stadiums (it had been all 30 before the Twins and Marlins got new ones, I'm going to the new Twins park this May so I'll be at 29 soon).

I'll live vicariously through you. So jealous. What's been your favorite/worse stadiums so far? Since I've been invested in my job, I've been taking trips out to different stadiums. Took care of the west coast and Chicago. And heading to Colorado and both New York Stadiums this summer. The Colorado trip was born out of my hui's yearly migration to the SF Giants' season openers (both home and away). Been to the last 6, but since this year is a return to Dodger Stadium, we've opted to drive to Colorado instead. I, may go still to keep the streak alive, but the ticket prices have been through the roof for the "safer seats".

I'll live vicariously through you. So jealous. What's been your favorite/worse stadiums so far? Since I've been invested in my job, I've been taking trips out to different stadiums. Took care of the west coast and Chicago. And heading to Colorado and both New York Stadiums this summer. The Colorado trip was born out of my hui's yearly migration to the SF Giants' season openers (both home and away). Been to the last 6, but since this year is a return to Dodger Stadium, we've opted to drive to Colorado instead. I, may go still to keep the streak alive, but the ticket prices have been through the roof for the "safer seats".

Oh, Colorado Coors Field is a really nice one, I think you will really like it a lot. Try a Rocky Mountain Oyster if you are the brave type. :)

I actually had been to both the old Shea and old Yankees Stadium and the new Citibank Mets and Yankees Stadium. They are both really new with a lot of nice amenities, but if you want to know the truth, I actually preferred the old Yankees Stadium better. It was a pit, really dirty and dingy but incredibly historic and (as a Red Sox fan this is hard to admit) awe-inspiring. The new one has flash and style but lacks character. Though I'm the girl that likes Wrigley and Fenway the best.

Of the new ballparks, my favorites are Pittsburgh (a gorgeous view, really nice people, good food and cheap seats), Seattle (a gem of a ballpark), Colorado (I think, again, you will like this one), and San Francisco (it is cold as hell but has really great sightlines and is easily accessible by public transportation). Baltimore is a wonderful ballpark but I got really bad food poisoning from some crab cakes while I was there, and so my memories of it are not very pleasant.

Not to be a negative nelly, but the worst were Tampa Bay, old Minnesota (looking forward to going to the new one soon), and Oakland. :(

Other than music, my favorite pastime is reading comic books. I'm a Marvel superheroes fan, but I read a bunch of different stuff (very little DC).

Marvel rocks!

[...]My latest obsession though is tattoos. I only have two (one drunken mistake in school, and one big Polynesian honu with the Hawaiian island chain inside of it). I am debating on a third but don't want to fall into the addiction phase. So instead I just watch all the tattoo shows on tv (Best Ink, Ink Master, etc.) and live vicariously though all of those people.

I got my first tat 12 years ago, when I was 40. My wife got hers at the same time (she was 47 at the time). I'd love more ink but finding the time and money never happens.

I have friends who are tattooists, so you'd think I'd get my stuff together, huh?

Wow... never seen this many mods in a thread that wasn't about to get locked down! LOLz! :D

YAY!- My dad just got his first, right alongside the wife and I working on our collections. He is 66 years old and sat like a champ.
Nice to see other tattooed ukers. I just got an Ukulele put into the last one. Quickly running out of room ;)
I got my first tat 12 years ago, when I was 40. My wife got hers at the same time (she was 47 at the time). I'd love more ink but finding the time and money never happens.

I have friends who are tattooists, so you'd think I'd get my stuff together, huh?

You have to be kidding me..great paintings..I really like the one On the Beach at Sunset..
what beach is that?
wow and the painting of Lena I had to look 3 times I thought it was a photograph..

Nice Gillian!

Thanks, Len!

The sunset beach scene is at Ma'aalea Bay on Maui. The painting of Lena was a wedding gift to her. She looked so beautiful in her Hindu wedding regalia.

While I like to do plein air, most of my paintings are from good quality photographs.

I'm trying to come up with ideas for paintings with ukuleles in them that aren't the stereotypical still life scenes, but I'm finding it difficult...I'd rather be playing a uke than painting one!

Top Bottom