Inherited a pre-1935 CF Martin 2K soprano ukulele

Obee

Reaction score
Now with photos: Inherited a pre-1935 CF Martin 2K soprano ukulele

Hello,

I added photos today, but it would only allow me to add five. I have lots more photos.

I'm new to the forum, and I'm in Southern California (Riverside). I'm not a musician, but I recently inherited a CF Martin 2k ukulele from my father, who inherited it from his father.

I have done several hours of research and I have positively identified it as the following:

CF Martin (Nazareth, PA) Style 2K (Koa wood) soprano ukulele, built pre-1935 (has the stamp on the back of the headstock, and not the sticker on the front)

I know that this is a very valuable ukulele if it were in excellent condition, but the ukulele has definitely seen some use over the years. It's in mediocre shape with two small (1/4"?) cracks in the body, and wear marks on the headstock and bridge. The bridge might need to be replaced. Other than that, it is in pretty good shape.

My question is: If I were to restore it, how much would it cost (approximately), and how much would that increase the value from its current condition? Would I get more out of it restored than I put into it, than if I sold it as is?

I would love to keep the ukulele and hand it down, but I have a very large tax bill to pay this year and, unfortunately, I need to sell it.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

2013-04-09 08.01.01.jpg
2013-04-09 08.00.57.jpg
2013-04-09 08.00.48.jpg
2013-04-09 08.00.40.jpg
2013-04-09 08.00.15.jpg

David

Last edited:
Where do you live? Do you know if there's a luthier in the area? You might want to get someone to actually take a look at the uke and give you an estimate. Best would be someone who is experienced doing repairs on ukuleles, of course.

It is a very sad day when someone has to sell a beautiful and valuable heirloom ukulele in order to support the government. There has to be a better way.:(

You likely will get more selling it as is as opposed to paying to have repairs done. I would much rather buy a high end vintage ukulele which needs repairs, and have them done by my guy. For what good repairs cost, you might not get that much out of it. List it on the marketplace here, and it will be seen by many uke freaks (like me).

You likely will get more selling it as is as opposed to paying to have repairs done. I would much rather buy a high end vintage ukulele which needs repairs, and have them done by my guy. For what good repairs cost, you might not get that much out of it. List it on the marketplace here, and it will be seen by many uke freaks (like me).

I agree. For exactly the same reasons. I'd rather do my own repairs and restoration, the latter only as absolutely necessary. Pictures of any defects will be important. What's wrong with the bridge?

need photos to answer any questions meaningfully.

What it's worth and what you might get are two totally difft matter as since most people won't get to play it, vintage collectors will be a little concerned. At an online store, they will allow you to return it if not satisfied.

I know a good luthier in San Diego, in case you're in the neighborhood, but you're probably closer to Los Angeles.

Welocme to the UU forums...Yes Ryan is right...You will not get more after fixing it...I prefer to have it done myself..hard to fix sloppy and cheap repair if not almost impossible
pending how it was done...Yes I am so sorry to see you sell a family heirloon with has stayed in your family for generations...you will regret it and your kids in the future might too

Top Bottom