Baritone string advice please

Southcoast ukes has an interesting article on tunings and why a particular tuning is best suited for the sized instrument. I play linear baritones. http://www.southcoastukes.com/004.htm Dirk states the baritone resonantes best in a Bb key.

It's thought the baritone was first designed for kids to learn the top four strings of a guitar with a smaller sized instrument, Bb was the key used by most musicians of the day hence the resonant factor. The G tuning was introduced for the learning of the top 4 strings of a guitar. (Favilla website)

For a flurocarbon (non wound) linear G tuning I use Ken's Living Waters String. I hear you on the low sound so I suggest trying a set of Southcoast ML-RW: Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ round wound and tuning it to Bb. The wear on the fingernail is more your technique than the wound string or it may be you're using a really cheap wound string.

For me, a C tuned bari sounds washed out. I tried the cuatros in C tuning and liked it but missed the high A for finger pickin so changed back. On my baritones, I use wound strings as too me, they seem to bring out the resonance better. I found non-wound to soft for the style of playing I do. If needed when playing with others who have a C tuned instrument, I just play my Bb bari. with a capo on the 2nd fret and I'm playing in the key of C.
Finding the right string is a continuing journey. I have three sets of different string makers sitting on my desk waiting to be tried, just for the sake of finding the perfect string. So far my favorites are the Living Waters and Southcoast. For my G tuned wound string setup, I'm trying a set of the Diaddario Titanium 2's. Sounds good so far but am anxious to try a few others.

With the strings you have on now, just use a capo to up the sound and use the same shapes you're using. A chord shape is a chord shape, it's where the shape is played on the fretboard that determines the key.

I read that article and now I'm confused. I thought tenor guitars are tuned in fifths, CGDA?

What is a Bb baritone?

"A chord shape is a chord shape, it's where the shape is played on the fretboard that determines the key." So if I wanted to change the key of my baritone, I'd just move the capo somewhere and play the same chords as before?

So if I played an F chord on a regular GCEA ukulele, it would also be an F chord on a baritone. Just the fingering is different, right? Wouldn't that mean the chord shape changes? Or am I totally off...

Bb baritone means the instrument is tuned to a Bb. Dirk is saying the optimum resonance (sound) for the baritone size is in the key of Bb.Yes, you could play the same chord shapes except move the capo to the appropriate fret (2nd fret) or play the chord shape that would be the chord for that particular tuning. For a baritone tuned to Bb I would play a D shape to get a C chord. If tuned to a Gtuning, I would play an F shape to get a C chord.

Depending on how the baritone is tuned. If it's tuned GCEA then the chord shapes and key would be the same. If it was tuned to a Bb an F shape would be a D#/Eb. In A tuning the F shape would be a D.

Last edited:
Aquila makes a linear GCEA set for the baritone. I bought a cheap old laminate baritone off the bay that sounded like it was made out of lead. I gave it to my son in law and we put the Aquilas on it, and, surprise, it sounds great, and it's so heavily built you could use it as a weapon. I like the southcoast linear set with the flatwounds, but I have not yet tried the LW, hope to soon.

Top Bottom