What was the last uke you bought? And what uke are you planning to buy next?

I just got both a Magic Fluke Timber Bass, in oak, and an Ohana CK-450QEL Quilted Eucalyptus Concert sized uke.

Neither was planned, until I decided to get them, and then I just called Mim.

If PayPal (or credit cards) didn't exist, I'd have a lot fewer ukuleles.

-Kurt​

I'm really interested to hear about the Eucalyptus one. I've never heard of it used as a tone wood, but it's all over the place here, so it would be worth checking out.

The last one I bought was a LfdM 19" super tenor cedar and myrtle and it is the last uke I am buying. No really......it is.....stop laughing.....stop it:p

20181020_064610.jpg20181020_064752.jpg20181020_065404.jpg

Tin Guitar custom concert, courtesy of Rob Collins.
I aim to sell one maybe 2 ukes in the near future, which will leave me with the ones I want. I am happy that the journey to get what I wanted only took 18 months. I do hanker after one other uke, which is a private sale, held back by lack of funds. If I am lucky enought to complete that sale I shall no longer be in the market for anything else.

Tin Guitar custom concert, courtesy of Rob Collins.
I aim to sell one maybe 2 ukes in the near future, which will leave me with the ones I want. I am happy that the journey to get what I wanted only took 18 months. I do hanker after one other uke, which is a private sale, held back by lack of funds. If I am lucky enought to complete that sale I shall no longer be in the market for anything else.

Rob is the luthier that I also chose to close out my collection. I sold off all my ukuleles except my Kamaka for re-entrant tuning and a custom tenor from Rob for my linear tuning. I am actually very happy now. I am lucky that I am a one-uke kind of person so that I don't have a hankering for more. I'm happy to bond with what I have.

Last one purchased was the 1933 Martin Style 2. Really wonderful instrument. Next purchase will be a
custom tenor due early next year. Lately, I’ve been also curious about a resonator uke. That might be in the future as well.

I'm happy to bond with what I have.

And there I believe is a very important point.....sometimes overlooked, it may take time to get the best out of any instrument, but it should feel good in your hands, comfortable, balanced, from day one...took me quite a while to "get in tune" with my Martin, and sometimes I find the right strings for you and the uke are a more important aquisition than another uke :)

And there I believe is a very important point.....sometimes overlooked, it may take time to get the best out of any instrument, but it should feel good in your hands, comfortable, balanced, from day one...took me quite a while to "get in tune" with my Martin, and sometimes I find the right strings for you and the uke are a more important aquisition than another uke :)

Excellent point, Dan!

Hmm. Sometimes I plan out a uke purchase, and other times an opportunity presents itself.
Then there are those ukes you'd like to try, but you can't or don't.

Last one purchased was a Tom Guy Bluegrass tenor cigar box. Next planned uke is a bespoke 19" Beltona reso baritone.

I am thoroughly enjoying my Ohana SK-70MG soprano, which I purchased from Mim a couple of weeks ago. I would have to say that it's the prettiest uke I've ever had, just very attractive with its spruce top and its flamed mahogany sides and back, and nice gloss finish; crafted with great care, it feels light as a feather, and Mim set it up with a very comfortable medium-low action; it has plenty of punch, and it intonates accurately. It isn't a terribly expensive instrument, but it's a great example of a uke that could very easily be "your one and only" uke for many years to come, and you would do absolutely fine with it. Now, that's not to say that my itch to grab another uke at some point has been totally scratched; in fact, I'll confess that I am awaiting delivery (from Uke Republic) of the very inexpensive Eddy Finn "P-Nut" soprano, about which I have been curious for quite some time! Here's a photo of my Ohana SK-70MG soprano... Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all here; I truly enjoy our ongoing exchanges, and I have learned "a ton" about so many aspects of the ukulele since I began stopping by here!
IMG_20181223_191035.jpg

Today I picked up my eleventh ukulele (relax, I've only kept nine!) a used Highland Tenor Neck Soprano ukulele. It's quite pretty, sounds sweet, and I can't find out a thing about it. I was told they were only made briefly, that it is mahogany, and probably a laminate. I don't know what brand strings she is wearing, but she doesn't project real loud compared to some of my others. I got it with a gig bag for a mere forty-five dollars which pleased me immensely compared to what I was looking at with other long necks. Her label says Highland Guitar Company but doesn't have a model number.

Highland Tenor Neck Soprano Ukulele 010919.jpg Highland Tenor Neck Soprano Ukulele front.jpg Highland Tenor Neck Soprano Ukulele back.jpg

Wow! I picked one up briefly earlier this week (plunked around on it for 30 sec b/c I was running short on time, my mind was/is deep in Guilele/Kiku-land & far away from steel strings). It was stunning!
Am even more impressed by Corey on the 1st video on the HMS link... "I don't play mandolin or anything, but we'll see what we can do..." what a sandbagger, LOL... He seems to make any plucked stringed instrument sound amazing...

Hope you post pics/ videos!

Waiting on this baby: https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono...ny-8-string-tenor-guitar-octave-mandolin.html

Ordered it because I had store credit AND it seems so different and exciting sounding. We’ll find out this week.

Just put in my order for the Beatles ukulele. (Blue one.) It's likely to be a wall hanger, but one that will make me smile.
No plans for buying anything else, but I've said that before, and then found something that I couldn't resist. :)

The other day a second hand Cordoba 30T arrived .... love it. Before the coming week is done, I should have the next purchase in hand: a Kiwaya KS-1 :rolleyes:

I received my new Outdoor Tenor in green with gold stuff last week. It has exactly the right amount of clarity and projection that I wanted - something to plink around with while at the campsite and out on the back deck.

View attachment 115360

In September, I bought a new MFC Fluke SB Tenor for quiet plinking.

View attachment 115361

Not expecting to buy another until I can mentally/financially justify the Blackbird Farallon... my recent uke of interest.

Last edited:
An "Echo Bridge" baritone sized guilele on sale from Johnson Stringed Instruments through Reverb.
0201191306a_HDR.jpg

I remember the name JSI from when I was a kid. They've been selling/trialing/renting violins/violas/cellos/bows for decades. I can see how years of dealing w/fiddles would lead to mandolins & then guitars... which could then lead to ukes. So I had some confidence in this $40 B-stock gamble. It looks like "Echo Bridge" may have been their (recent?) foray into house brand guitars/ukes?

Based what I can tell from my guilele's clean looking build (sooo light, thin wood/laminate that reminds of Kiwaya's laminate ukes, resonant & LONG sustain) I could easily consider buying from them again.

Because it's on the larger end of ukes I may take it into a shop to see what may need reinforcement/preventative work.

I deliberately wanted to check out what a narrow-nut guilele felt like after seeing feedback on Islander/Kanilea being too wide for some. Width at nut is about the same as Martin Mini (LX1, guitar).

The open-pore/satin, NOT gloss finish is very soothing.

Fender Zuma...saw it on Musicians Friend and thought they looked kind of cool...well, a couple days later they knocked off 33.3%.
zuma.jpg

Well, it's a concert size, plays and sounds fine, for what it is. Just not what I expected, it's a little too glossy and heavily built. The finish was advertised as "open pore" well, it's a very thick gloss. Nice uke though, if you like the look.

Top Bottom