Current thoughts on the Sceptre

What are your thoughts on the KoAloha Sceptre?

• Love it!

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • Meh.

Votes: 63 52.1%

• Total voters

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
When I first joined UU, Sceptres were all the rage. I bought one and I love it, though it has fallen deep into my uke rotation (due to no fault of its own). In fact, every time I play it I wonder "why don't I play this uke more often?"

What is your take on the Sceptre? Mine has the Crown bridge, which bridge does your have?

IMG_4390..jpgIMG_4389..jpgIMG_4393..jpg

I selected "Meh" mostly because "hate" is too strong an emotion to waste on an inanimate object. :)

I've just never understood the fascination with them - the ones I've heard in clips sound fine but so do many other tenors and it just looks goofy to me - not to mention it can't be too comfortable to play, I'd think.

Some folks like the Flying V and "Explorer" guitar shapes - I never got that, either. I guess I'm just an old curmudgeonly boring kinda guy.

John

Its an exceptional instrument. I don't play mine regularly because I know I'd chip one of those wood edges in time.

what oldephart said...:eek:ld:

They're not super comfortable, but man, they look cool. I love mine. The ordinary ukulele shape is nice, but the Sceptre and Pineapple Sunday get oohs and ahhs every time.

I've not heard one but I would never pick one up on the basis of it's looks alone. I find them seriously ugly, way too angular and harsh looking to be a ukulele. Reminds me too much of a weapon. I guess I'm another one of those curmudgeonly boring folks...I hated the flying V's too

Not a fan, I guess they look different and kind of cool, but not my style.

Ouch, where is the love for poor Papa Okami?
BTW: anyone got a Signature-model for sale? Please PM me.

Looks like Batman's uke.

I like them. I had a concert that I sold to rem50 only because I decided to stick strictly with tenors. And he loves it. They are loud, sweet sounding and easy too play. I found that ergonomically my arm fit perfectly in one of the coved sections when I played.

I will say that they are a little gimicky. But back in 2009-2010, they were one of the hottest and most sought after ukes here on the UU.

Not really clear what makes a sceptre gimicky. I really like the looks of them and was tempted to get one last summer while in Oahu. I preferred the sound of the standard tenor or concert, however. I think the sceptre lacks a bit of warmth. I still would be very tempted to get one if I could try it first.

Japanese uke artist Iwao liked his concert sceptre so much that he recorded an entire CD using it in 2009. Pretty impressive for a production uke.

61HOBfr34WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Koaloha reciprocated with an Iwao edition for the Japanese market, laser engraving on the top.

7139176e-s.jpg

Charmed by Iwao's CD, I had to buy mine from MGM during the craze back in 2009/2010. Today, I still like it for its clear ringing tone and the ease playing up and down the neck. Best strung with high G Worth and finger picking pieces for me.

Photo credits:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Life-Beauti...1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364907980&sr=8-3-fkmr1

http://blog.livedoor.jp/cooper97/archives/1394618.html

Koaloha really runs the spectrum for me -- on the one hand, they produce things like the Sceptre and the Juke-a-lele, which I can respect as original, but just really do look gimmicky to me; but on the other hand, they can produce gorgeous black and red label ukes

I selected "Meh" mostly because "hate" is too strong an emotion to waste on an inanimate object. :)

I've just never understood the fascination with them - the ones I've heard in clips sound fine but so do many other tenors and it just looks goofy to me - not to mention it can't be too comfortable to play, I'd think.

Some folks like the Flying V and "Explorer" guitar shapes - I never got that, either. I guess I'm just an old curmudgeonly boring kinda guy.

John

Pretty much exaclty how I feel. I certainly don't "hate" it, it's just not for me and never on my radar.

I've not heard one but I would never pick one up on the basis of it's looks alone. I find them seriously ugly, way too angular and harsh looking to be a ukulele. Reminds me too much of a weapon. I guess I'm another one of those curmudgeonly boring folks...I hated the flying V's too
Never heard one? Jason Arimoto often performs with his

I agree they sound best in high G. This was also perhaps one of the first ukes to project enough to play unplugged with acoustic guitars (plural).

Maybe mine is a good one, but I think it is awesome. I've been considering selling it, but I think I would regret it later. I would encourage people to try one next time you have a chance, don't judge a uke by its form factor! ;)

Not my style!! Don't hate it though......just would not buy one.

Top Bottom