The "I bought an Outdoor Uke" thread!

May just be wishful thinking on my part but I have a hunch this uke is going to sound much better than anyone expects.

I have absolutely nothing to base this on except my gut feeling and what I've seen, heard and read.

Anyone have any opinion based in fact from known conventional construction techniques?

My only concern is that he did bracing. Not sure it needed it. But it looks cool and the prototype sounds awesome.
If anything, I will be happy if it sounds as good as an Oscar Schmidt OU-2.
we could get lucky and it sounds like an old timey soprano
May just be wishful thinking on my part but I have a hunch this uke is going to sound much better than anyone expects.

I have absolutely nothing to base this on except my gut feeling and what I've seen, heard and read.

Anyone have any opinion based in fact from known conventional construction techniques?

My only concern is that he did bracing. Not sure it needed it. But it looks cool and the prototype sounds awesome.
If anything, I will be happy if it sounds as good as an Oscar Schmidt OU-2.
we could get lucky and it sounds like an old timey soprano

What a coincidence... I just sold my OU-2 to help pay for this!

My main expectation is that the intonation on this is as good as a flea/fluke. If not this will be a very serious letdown. If it sounds better than a brick with strings I'll be happy.

Mountain ocarinas have polycarbonate instruments they go for 25USD a pop and that's only 2 small polycarbonate molds, and 2 non polycarbonate plastic liner molds. This uke here with 6 molds and dramatically more material, definitely extremely reasonable if it's not junk.

I wonder if they sound any good?

I have that feeling these will sound pretty nice. Not sure why, but for a small fee, I get a uke that is rated to -40 F. Much better than that carbon fiber price.

Really enjoying this thread. No shortage on opinions on a product no one has heard, played, or touched. Don't get me wrong, I share the anticipation for the potential of this product, yet can't help but feel that some will be severely disappointed and others will be over the moon. So it goes. A couple of points. One would expect that if this product is reasonably successful, the cost of production would go down, rather than up, as raw materials bought in larger quantities, production streamlining, and other efficiencies are brought to bear. How about a clear or translucent model? That would be pretty special!

Isn't it a little odd that this thing is going from mock up to full production - with apparently nothing in between?
I would have expected a small prototype run where they'd be able to provide some audio of what this thing Really sounds like.

I've got an interesting - but not thought out idea. I posit that the build quality and consistency of this instrument will be much, much higher that any other method of crafting a uke. So any player would, arguably, be holding, playing, hearing exactly the same instrument. It would be very revealing to see what we each think of it in a variety of ways.

Let's structure a poll, or small series of polls, to describe certain characteristics regarding appearance, or quality, or tone, and ease of play, etc.

Then after the fact we could all vote on things like the tone is: Dull, Bright, Mellow, Twangy... whatever. The build quality is: Outstanding, Very Good, Sloppy... whatever. To me the sound compares to: Cheap Laminate Starter, Midrange Solid Uke, Specific Uke...

The only problem is the semantics of what each description actually means. But whatever. Just an idea. It's all about different strokes for different folks and individual perceptions of the same elements on an apparently identical uke.

Thoughts?

....or the OU and a Dolphin...or the OU and a Kala KA-S...or the OU and a 0XK...or the OU and a Gretsch G9100... :)

One would expect that if this product is reasonably successful, the cost of production would go down, rather than up, as raw materials bought in larger quantities, production streamlining, and other efficiencies are brought to bear.
I suspect you are right, though the savings realized might not be a huge percentage because apparently the uke is still assembled from several castings - presumably meaning human labor costs are probably a significant factor in the price.

How about a clear or translucent model? That would be pretty special!
That would be pretty cool, but probably more expensive. Generally clear plastics are more expensive than black, all else being equal. Also, again it's assembled from several pieces so with clear those joins would have to be aesthetically, as well as structurally, sound.

John

Good idea... but if I mark it with my scent no one will come within 50 feet of me!

You're gonna pee on it?

Well, I'm in. But I don't know what number my order is. I haven't gotten an email confirm yet.

Isn't it a little odd that this thing is going from mock up to full production - with apparently nothing in between?
I would have expected a small prototype run where they'd be able to provide some audio of what this thing Really sounds like.

I'm guessing this production run isn't full production, but is the prototype run.

I'm going to start my #15 out with Living Water - at least, that's the plan now.

I dunno...isn't this thing waterproof?

Wow! Lots of enthusiasm here for a plastic instrument that no one has seen or heard! Feeding frenzy!

Y'all got UAS and got it bad.

Hey, maybe it will be so fine that it will just completely blow up both the vintage Martin and blingy custom tenor markets in one swell foop!

Or, as I suspect, it will sound "good enough" for a $100 plastic ukulele. I'll be interested to hear what you all think.

Top Bottom