New Uke Day -- Mya-Moe six-string mahogany baritone.

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This afternoon I received the Mya-Moe mahogany six-string baritone I ordered at the 2012 Wine Country Ukulele Festival last September. the mahogany is a little stripier than I thought it would be when I selected the wood set, but it really looks great in person. The strings aren't stretched yet, but even when it falls out of tune it feels resonant and loud. Here are some photos of it from the Mya-Moe website.

1013Shoulder_04030333.jpg 1013Front_04030334.jpg 1013Back_04030334.jpg 1013Full_04030333.jpg

And here's a video of Aaron playing it before it got sent off to its new home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPXUWlXiyos

Hey Mark..that Honduran Mahogany looks like mine Haha!

I am calling you NorCal Stan..

nice uke..save some money so we can go look at some nice ukes on Oahu..
btw did you see the picture of the Koa Vento on the Curly Koa thread today? I am trying to be bad Huh? and tell Tony Graziano I said Hi tomorrow,,,thxs

Last edited:
Congratulations Mark! Another beauty. This has been quite the few weeks for new ukes for you! Looking forward to seeing this one (and the mini-jumbo CR) sometime soon. I think my UAS is beginning to itch ... I'd better be careful! See you tomorrow, I hope, at the NorCal Uke Fest. I should be there around noon.

Elegant looking baritone Mark. I love the look of ribbon stripe mahogany.

Been seeing a few NUD posts from you lately. :) How do you store all of your ukes? Do you have a place in your home to display them? Do you ever take them all out at once? That would be an impressive visual!

Been seeing a few NUD posts from you lately. :) How do you store all of your ukes? Do you have a place in your home to display them? Do you ever take them all out at once? That would be an impressive visual!

he he...my thoughts exactly Dana. :) Man that's an impressive collection you've got going these days Mark. What a stunner this one is, very classy and kinda understated. And yeah, if Aaron says it's one of their best sounding models who could disagree. Enjoy it mate, it's a ripper.
:cheers:

Stunner!

I'm interested in what different tunes you are planning to play on your 8 string baritone and now this 6 string? Is it a mood thing or different occasions?

That is some of the nicest ribbon grain mahogany I have ever seen.

And what a voice it has already as a brand new instrument!

Congratulations!

Thanks for all the kind comments. The strings are still settling, but it's a lot of fun to play and the striping is more subtle in person than it is in the photos I posted.

Coooool. Congratulations! Mind sharing how that beauty is tuned?

It's tuned DGBE, with the G and E courses octaved.

I live in a studio, and at the moment there's no organization to the way I store them. The ukes I keep at home are just sort of leaning against a table in their cases (which are humidified). I'm lucky enough to have my own office where I work, and I keep several of them there, although I'm beginning to get funny looks from co-workers and from my supervisor. I want to buy some sort of shelving that allows me to store many of them vertically in their cases and to use the shelving above the ukes to store music books and music sheets, but I've been having trouble finding suitable shelving. Honestly, though, I have to thin the herd. Some ukes just aren't getting played and they ought to be.

Stunner!

I'm interested in what different tunes you are planning to play on your 8 string baritone and now this 6 string? Is it a mood thing or different occasions?

Good question, Ben. I ordered the baritone six-string in September, after realizing that very few people build eight string baritones. Then I happened upon an eight-string Kamaka ion Oahu in October and bought it without thinking because it was beautiful and rare and sounded great. I haven't sorted out how I'd delegate some music to one and some to the other. The Kamaka is fuller sounding, not surprisingly, and I think the MM has a more "folksy" voice. One of these days, when I (i) figure out how to set up for video recording and (ii) get comfortable with making a video of myself, I'll make a comparison vidoe of all my baritones, or at least these two.

By the way, I was speaking with Adrian (wadleysf) yesterday about Tinguitar ukuleles and I was wondering how you were liking yours.

Last edited:
I live in a studio, and at the moment there's no organization to the way I store them. The ukes I keep at home are just sort of leaning against a table in their cases (which are humidified). I'm lucky enough to have my own office where I work, and I keep several of them there, although I'm beginning to get funny looks from co-workers and from my supervisor. I want to buy some sort of shelving that allows me to store many of them vertically in their cases and to use the shelving above the ukes to store music books and music sheets, but I've been having trouble finding suitable shelving. Honestly, though, I have to thin the herd. Some ukes just aren't getting played and they ought to be.

That is how I store mine when they are in their cases. This closet is adjacent to my uke room so they are easily accessible. The shelves are 13" deep with a 1" high lip to prevent the cases from sliding off. Hope this helps.
005-9_zps9da268f5.jpg

003-10_zpseb90b73d.jpg

By the way, I was speaking with Adrian (wadleysf) yesterday about Tinguitar ukuleles and I was wondering how you were liking yours.

I collected it from Hebden Bridge (UK) yesterday. How do I like it? I am very happy with it so far :) :) :) :) ad infinitum

I'm looking forward to spending some serious time with it this weekend, getting to know it better. I've been playing all sorts on it so far from Hawaiian fingerstyle to Tin Pan Alley to assorted Rob MacKillop tunes, Calypso finger picking and a bit of The Kinks. All sounded great to me. Sweet intonation and good dynamic range so far.

I'll try and get it recorded soon to post a soundbite.

Cheers

Ben

Top Bottom