60th Season Of The Ukulele: They're Playing Our Song

no way Andre...just pick a song you'd sing to a girl if you were trying to woo her :love:

Exactly this. If I wasn't clear in my rules, the our song can definitely be with someone who doesn't know it yet.

That shouldn't keep you from posting. It was so long ago I can't remember what songs were played at my proms (I actually went to three-miss popularity here lol!) and I've never really had an "our song" either. I'm just going to pick a popular song from 1971 (the year I graduated from high school).
What say you mattydee - can we simply pick a song that "might" have been played at the prom the year we graduated high school?

Sure, but I'd prefer it if you have some emotional attachment to the song.

Oh man...my prom song was by Styx...do I really want to learn that?

How can you not want to learn that?! (But really, it doesn't have to be the song from Prom, it can be any song that you have an emotional attachment to that reminds you of someone else.)

I have a really busy week, Seasonistas, so comments will come in fits and starts.

We have several candidates. Oh, what to choose. We only have one evening to record because I'm off to the UK this week. Visiting Cambridge with 100 pupils...
I am only 45 minutes from cambridge :)

OK I have gone with the first song in my song book. My book could be 35 years old - I really wish I had dated my entries. I don't "claim" songs but the fact that it was the first entry means I took some trouble to work out the chords and note down the lyrics and therefore it has some connection. At this stage it will be my entry - but this could change.
Marie by Randy Newman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJbdrpA8W2k

So sweet, Pa. Even if there is no specific memory associated here, it sure feels like it. Lovely, simple vocals and picking.

http://youtu.be/1u1Gn2V5fSI

Here is an "our song" video that is particularly special to me. It is one of my dearest, longtime friends, Kristin, and I doing a uke cover of "Umbrella" by Rhianna. It started as a song we loved to make fun of, then we decided to act like "suburban gangstas" and make a uke cover video. This is one of the first things we played together after over a decade of planning to start our dream band and never having time (we both got married, became parents, and had to start acting like responsible adults, haha.) Now, we're finally playing and things are coming together very well. I've been in countless bands over the past 16+ years and have never been this excited about any musical venture. I recently finished building a studio just to record this album. When she finds out I posted this, I'm in big trouble! We made the mistake of hitting "record" before learning to play the song. That laptop is connected to a guitar tab site because we didn't know the lyrics or chords yet, haha!

Anyway, here is the real significance of this song- Kristin, just like me, is someone who feels "out of place" in normal social situations when most people would be completely comfortable. But we can lose ourselves in music, and everything is right with the world as long as the song is playing. Without music, I feel I'd have the emotional capacity of a rock and just sit alone and quiet every day. Some things in my life have hit a bit of a rough patch the past several months, but the time we spent working on music and playing (we refer to it as "therapy time") has been a real bright spot for me. She has helped keep the rain drops from "falling on my head" by doing these songs with me as fun distractions from reality. (side note: "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" is another cheesy pop song that got me through a rough patch 12-ish years ago.)
So, whenever I need a pick-me-up, I just watch this video and that is why this is our song.

Great! Making music together. Even though this counts as a bonus, it's a great way to kick things off! Thanks Watchyourtoes!

Color My World - Chicago

Ah, MattyDee, you stirred up some memories.

I found the photo of my date and me from Junior Prom 1970.
White shoes and a blue carnation.

1970 was a good year for music, but most of the songs had a fast tempo, and weren't much good for dancing, especially "slow dancing." [which at my high school was hugging as tight as you could, girl's arms around the boy's shoulders, boy's hands around the girl's waist (straying to her hips) and swaying slightly]

So we were fortunate when Chicago released a "slow" song.
It would get played multiple times at every dance.

Ah, MattyDee, you stirred up some memories.
I found the photo of my date and me from Junior Prom 1970.
White shoes and a blue carnation.

1970 was a good year for music, but most of the songs had a fast tempo, and weren't much good for dancing, especially "slow dancing." [which at my high school was hugging as tight as you could, girl's arms around the boy's shoulders, boy's hands around the girl's waist (straying to her hips) and swaying slightly]

So we were fortunate when Chicago released a "slow" song.
It would get played multiple times at every dance.
Oh the memories! I grew up in Chicago and heard this song all the time when it first came out -I'm sure it must have been played at my prom as well.

Rolling the way-back machine to the late eighties (which is not way back for some of you).
Every agonizing moment of every school dance is conjured with one song.
Seems this one was simply played over and over at dances, and is mixed with the smell of mints, too much cheap cologne and sweat forever in my head. Precious stolen moments in which some charitable young lady would allow me to dance with her in spite of how completely awkward I was at the time. I still remember every single time it played...and every kind soul who led me off the wall knowing the night would be a bust for me if they didn't.
Welcome to Jr. High.
The Promise- When In Rome. So beautifully summed up in film so many years later so my awkward students could have the same experience- sheesh.

Rolling the way-back machine to the late eighties (which is not way back for some of you).
Every agonizing moment of every school dance is conjured with one song.
Seems this one was simply played over and over at dances, and is mixed with the smell of mints, too much cheap cologne and sweat forever in my head. Precious stolen moments in which some charitable young lady would allow me to dance with her in spite of how completely awkward I was at the time. I still remember every single time it played...and every kind soul who led me off the wall knowing the night would be a bust for me if they didn't.
Welcome to Jr. High.

For those of us whose way-back machine goes even further back (to the 60s) the song we heard over and over at middle school/high school dances was Cherish by the Association.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9MDwAIvUfc&feature=share&list=PL003C96ED801A7E8F

Last edited:
Please indulge me my with long intro in this vid. The song has temporal significance for me right now as it will likely be my last uke vid in North America, as well as personal significance for my ex-wife and I going back some 15 years ago now. Hard to explain why; we had a weird relationship. You'll just have to take my word for it.

I practiced the vocals several times in the original key, but the highs were beyond my range, so I took it down an octave.

Hahaha- The Association. I am sure this is all true, as I can play this one and my dad gets all dreamy eyed, and mom leaves the room. Now she is a bit older (66), and from Chicago...but the one that makes her slow dance all around the room is "Angel Baby" by Rosie and the originals. I never quite put it together (total California cut right there) but they must have played the heck out of it. She loves it more than breathing.
For those of us whose way-back machine goes even further back (to the 60s) the song we heard over and over at middle school/high school dances was Cherish by the Association.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9MDwAIvUfc&feature=share&list=PL003C96ED801A7E8F

Last edited:
So, here is a bunch of stuff...
We have played a lot of "Our Songs" since season 16, but we have held this one back because the lyrics are...well, a little less than PG. We figured we had to do it this week. (Thanks Matt for giving us the impetus)
This is also the FIRST time my wife has ever sung alone. EVER. We have had such a great time making videos for you fine folks, and hosting when we can...This is just icing on the cake for this fool. She did it-makes this my favorite we have done just for that.
Yup- this is my entry. If I can keep her going, maybe she will have one later.
Thanks for indulging us, you fine folks of the internet.
TCK is sittin' on a rainbow
In Spite of Ourselves- John Prine and Iris Dement cover

Last edited:
Bee Baw Babbity (A song for choosing partners)

We did not have Proms, but we did have Xmas dances. Near Xmas the boys and girls would meet up in the gym hall to learn dances. The trouble was the boys stood along the wall bars at one side of the hall, and tried to look like James Dean, and the girls bunched up in small protective huddles over at the other wall. Nobody moved to choose a partner. We were all 12 years old and very shy.

So the teachers got the boys to hold hands and form a circle and got them marching around clockwise. The girls then formed a circle outside and spun in an anticlockwise direction, and we all sang Bee Baw Babbity. The idea was that when the music stopped, who ever was opposite you was your partner for the dance.

The only trouble was there were good looking girls, who always clumped together in their circle, and similarly you would have and fat spotty boys who wore brylcream, all grouped together in the boys circle. The music started and the boy's and girl's circles revolved in opposite directions.

Everybody wanted to avoid somebody, and everybody wanted to hook up with somebody, and as a result the circles would either speed up or slow down. depending on who happened to be opposite you. It was chaos, and what was supposed to be a good idea, turned out to be a disaster.

So there are three things going on. The song is floating above your head, the distraught teacher is in the left channel and a haiku by Anselm Hollo is recited in the right channel.

Choosing a partner in real life is no less hazardous. This is a "head-phones" bonus to remind you that youth is wasted on the young.

Top Bottom