Why did I not think of this before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, you guys have your fun for now, but in a few hours some white dudes on the mainland are gonna wake up and be horribly offended.

Hey, I say we burn all these flags, (mine [USA] included) and raise the new Nation of Ukulele flag to rule them all. No more love/hate relationships. Love/Love instead.

I was just making light of the fact that I bet there were no Hawaiians offended by the original post. Sure Brad can come talking about an overthrow of the Hawaiian kingdom and burning bridges and everyone can get all serious, but what about being perceptive to the contextual nature and sensitive to the overall vibe here.
If he poked fun at any race it would be his own, which you're allowed to do. To not even be Hawaiian and presume that Bk's original comment would offend them would be as silly as me being offended for the Portuguese by Chuck's comment. I'm sure I could implicate all kinds of things if I wanted to twist them up in that way. C'mon people..nobody is here to offend. Don't be so quick to put that light on it.
And I apologize to all white dudes on the mainland. No offense intended. In fact, I'm just like you. (when I'm on the mainland) Forums like this are nice when you can converse with people all over the world. We are all one human race. Hopefully the net can help make those connections so people can work towards this realization. This video discusses that empathetic development-

I was just making light of the fact that I bet there were no Hawaiians offended by the original post. Sure Brad can come talking about an overthrow of the Hawaiian kingdom and burning bridges and everyone can get all serious, but what about being perceptive to the contextual nature and sensitive to the overall vibe here.
If he poked fun at any race it would be his own, which you're allowed to do. To not even be Hawaiian and presume that Bk's original comment would offend them would be as silly as me being offended for the Portuguese by Chuck's comment. I'm sure I could implicate all kinds of things if I wanted to twist them up in that way. C'mon people..nobody is here to offend. Don't be so quick to put that light on it.
And I apologize to all white dudes on the mainland. No offense intended. In fact, I'm just like you. (when I'm on the mainland) Forums like this are nice when you can converse with people all over the world. We are all one human race. Hopefully the net can help make those connections so people can work towards this realization. This video discusses that empathetic development-

All very well said, Andrew. Cheers!

-Steve

"Ambient Doughnut" has got to be one of the best screen names on this forum! I wasn't so creative with mine.

I was in CO-OP one day and they were selling 'Ambient Doughnuts'. The ludicrousness of the description stuck with with me. True story...

:)

Eh, Kahuna,
How come you humbug? Your sense of humor sometimes gets too close to da border, not da first time yeah?
Some of your posts get peoples blood pressure up, if they don't know you. Me, I know you just Kolohe, Au'we!

Hey, I say we burn all these flags, (mine [USA] included) and raise the new Nation of Ukulele flag to rule them all. No more love/hate relationships. Love/Love instead.

thanks for the wisdom you guys, great stuff :)

Iʻll add that topics like this are incredibly insensitive to the Hawaiian people. It would behoove you all to look up the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom and history leading up to it before you commit yourself to a thread along these lines.

As a haole guy in Hawaiian Studies, just trying to inform you before bridges burn.

+1,000,000 X infiniti

I know Big Kahuna meant the post with humor.
I also know how it could offend people.
I just discovered that no matter what you say or how you intend it, someone can always be offended.
Unfortunately I can not go through life not talking:)

I also know how it could offend people.

Well I'd sure appreciate it if you'd explain it to me. And, presumably, to the bunch of people who've sent me messages on here and on Facebook, wondering how anyone could so completely misinterpret or misread a post that they get their panties in a bunch.

Well I'd sure appreciate it if you'd explain it to me. And, presumably, to the bunch of people who've sent me messages on here and on Facebook, wondering how anyone could so completely misinterpret or misread a post that they get their panties in a bunch.

Do your study of Hawaiian history. I guess I am like the Hippie Guy. You really have to understand the Hawaiian perspective. I found the post humorous. Notice I said I know how it could offend people.

If you were to spend some time learning the Hawaiian History as told by Hawaiians and not the history books, you would see what I mean. I know this stuff happened many years ago. Way before we were thought of but a whole people group was almost eradicated. They were told their culture was substandard. Unfortunately it started with the British empire and carried over to the American Govt.

My panties aren't n a bunch. I don't wear underwear so hard to make nothing get into a bunch.

I'm just stating that I know you meant no harm, but i can easily see how people could be offended.
I have been calling a motorcycles made in Japan a certain name for about 30 years. I never thought of it as offensive. I have heard it called this same name numerous times. However it was brought to my attention that it was offensive. Somewhere, somehow any and all things can be found offensive to some people.

Does all that make sense? I'm trying to explain it, but I really wasn't offended so my heart isn't into the explanation.

<Facepalm>

Haole guys lecturing the masses about being sensitive to the plight of the hawaiian...I am hawaiian! Stop! Eeef u no get tick skin...vote wit da rubbah slippahs...no read!

I learned a very valuable saying while venturing from my oyster that was Punahou School to broaden my horizons at Konawaena, only to finish where I started...being called haole by asians (light hair but 1/4 kanak)...it goes like this for all you wimpy folk...

"Why, boddah you?

DON'T LET IT!"

very wise words, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom