Peterson Strobe clip on with "Uke sweetened tuning"?

Contact Peterson directly. Their customer service is excellent, .......

Scooter

Great idea! Thank you! The seller asked me to send it back to him in Canada (I am in Norway) but after reading your post I have registered it on the Peterson website and filled in the online form explaining the prob. Lets see what happens.

Bill

Well I never..... Peterson replied with an apology and are sending me a new tuner. They don't even want the defect one in return.

Bill

I agree....my clip broke on mine...emailed Peterson at 11pm...by 11:30 they got back to me and mailed me a new part...free.
Great service.

UPS just dropped off my Peterson; can't wait to play with it!

I love my Petrerson....I'm spoiled, don't like other tuners. I see people leaving them on when they play...do you guys that are burning up batteires turn them off after tuning? I never leave mine on, and the battery has only been changed once in over 2 years...and it's used a lot...

UPS just dropped off my Peterson; can't wait to play with it!

Lucky guy! I really want one, but I am on a self imposed financial fast saving for a custom.

Well I never..... Peterson replied with an apology and are sending me a new tuner. They don't even want the defect one in return.

Bill

Oh No Bill..how many defective Petterson tuners are going to be showing up now..Lol
mine if fine so I guess I just have one.. Haha

Ouch, I just looked them up online and didn't realize how expensive they are...I'm gonna tune my ukes with my cheapos and hopefully the off pitch notes will match my off pitch voice.

Love my Peterson. Battery not died in months using it. Agree the clip is a little flimsy, but the quality of the tuning is unmatched

Love my Peterson. Battery not died in months using it. Agree the clip is a little flimsy, but the quality of the tuning is unmatched

It depends on the model you get. I had purchased a StroboClip a couple of years back and it broke on me. Contacted Peterson and talked with their CS. Turns out it was an issue, so they retooled the piece and sent me out a new one. The new piece is easily twice as thick as the old one, and is made with carbon fiber (so I was told), so it should last longer. Wouldn't be surprised though if, since there's not a huge market for $80 clip on tuners, if the old clips are still out on store shelves.

I have had the Peterson clip on for a few weeks now. Its accurate for sure but I can't get used to the strobe at all. I keep going back to the $8 made in China I bought on Ebay. The strobe dances around too much for me and I can read it as flat or sharp, unable to decide really. I made a video clip of the 2 tuners with the uke tuned using the el cheapo. Its just easier and quicker to use for me (A rank beginner). I especially have probs tuning E with the Peterson. No doubt about it. Its a great tuner but maybe for more advanced players than myself-

Bill

I have had the Peterson clip on for a few weeks now. Its accurate for sure but I can't get used to the strobe at all. I keep going back to the $8 made in China I bought on Ebay. The strobe dances around too much for me and I can read it as flat or sharp, unable to decide really. I made a video clip of the 2 tuners with the uke tuned using the el cheapo. Its just easier and quicker to use for me (A rank beginner). I especially have probs tuning E with the Peterson. No doubt about it. Its a great tuner but maybe for more advanced players than myself-

Bill

Thanks for posting that.

Yes my Petterson does what my other tuners do..except for my cherub
if you want to go plus or minus from 10 to 50 for each note..you need a cherub..nothing is close..

Those of you using Cherub: what is the difference between the C and U models, other than price? Can't quite figure it out on their website.

Those of you using Cherub: what is the difference between the C and U models, other than price? Can't quite figure it out on their website.

you want the WST-550C..I have no clue what the U model does

if you just tune your uke GCEA you don't need a cherub..
that is why I was surprised that the Petterson does not do what a cherub does..

you want the WST-550C..I have no clue what the U model does

This is really good to know. I do D tuning linear and F re-entrant on some ukes, so the Cherub C sounds like an interesting thing to try.

Much thanks.

C = Chromatic, so you get all 12 notes.
U = Ukulele, so it's set only for GCEA.

They both tune instruments, so yes, the Peterson does EXACTLY what the Cherub does. The Peterson can also go from 400-490 in terms of how you want to detune your instrument, which again, is a larger range than the Cherub. What doesn't impress me about the Cherub is that it's got a 1 cent range of accuracy, meaning when you're in tune with the tuner, anywhere from A=439-441 is considered acceptable for the unit. The Peterson has a .1 cent range of accuracy, which is a LOT better for my needs of gigging 5-7 nights a week. I also have a couple of NS Mini tuners that work fantastic as well, and take up little to no space.

Personally, buy whatever tuner you find useful to your needs, but don't poo-poo other brands. At the end of the day, the only TRUE way to make sure you're in tune is by listening and using your ears; the tuner only catches metrics and still can't tell you how you fit in an ensemble.

Last edited:
The Cherub WST550C has a full digital readout which is a better feature to make even for the beginnner simpler to read immediately....no other tuner does that even the peterson....believe me..
I do know how to take full advantage of this feature and prefer the Cherub among all other brands...none can compare,,,,Get the WST 550C Dont look just at the name brand and a high price
and think it's the best....I am sure the peterson is a good and accurate tuner too, just missing some good features .Happy strummings

Last edited:
Top Bottom