Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strap for a soprano worth it?

Default Strap for a soprano worth it?

Back around Xmas time I was on a kick to put a strap on my mainland cedar soprano. The thinking in my mind was not only to ease holding it up while playing, but moreso the idea that if I wasnt pinching the uke against my body I could get a fuller more resonant sound. So of course for xmas two straps show up under my tree. One was the type that hooks in under the soundhole. Im not a big fan of it, it feels unbalanced to me with the heavy headstock and neck of the mainland. The other was a nice handmade leather mando strap, but I would need to install at least one strap button to use it which means drilling a hole in my uke. That has pretty much held me back, but Im back thinking about it now. What do you guys think? Is it worth the effort to strap a soprano? Has anyone out there tried it before? I know some folks will recommend the uke leash style, I tried this as well albeit a homemade version, but that doesnt help really since you still have to pinch the uke under your arm, and I think it would just sound fuller if it were allowed to vibrate and ring. Does this make sense? Maybe some of the builders out there will put in an opinion I hope.
    Mainland Cedar Soprano
    Silvertone Vintage Soprano
    No Name Banjo-Uke

Thanks so much for this question. It prompted me to try one out that attaches to the endpin of the Misi and around the head stock. It's GREAT and I love it. Although I have a bit of a natural shelf to rest the soprano on, it's not quite large enough and I am trying to lose it anyway. The strap makes playing while standing SO much easier.
    Why don't you use a bit of tape to stick it to the point where the end pin would go and try it out? I am sure if you only leave the tape on for a few minutes you won't damage the finish. If you like it, you can think about whether you want to install an endpin or not.
    Andreas
    ----------------------
    Brüko longneck soprano, custom maple/rosewood
    Applause UAE20
    Gibson Les Paul Standard '78
    Guild Pilot
    Ashbory Mark II

The new Mobius strap is pretty cool. I bought one for a friend who has a soprano and she loves it. No need for an end pin with the Mobius. For myself, I like an endpin on my tenors in case I ever decide to use a strap.

Tie a large shoelace around the waist of your uke, and the other end around the headstock.
    Easy try-out strap before installing pins.

I have straps on all my ukes, I cannot play without one. OK, I can play a tenor or a baritone seated with the uke on my leg, but I play better with a strap.

I mainly play soprano, and I have strap buttons installed on all my ukes. I use mando straps. Wouldn't have it any other way - I mainly do finger picking, and a strap gives me a lot more control.

FWIW - there's a belief out there that strap buttons devalue a uke. I've re-sold several K-brands with strap buttons for more than I paid for them - so, there goes that theory

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    FWIW - there's a belief out there that strap buttons devalue a uke. I've re-sold several K-brands with strap buttons for more than I paid for them - so, there goes that theory
    Remind me not to buy a uke from you! Hope to see you Tues!

Quote Originally Posted by nongdam View Post
    Remind me not to buy a uke from you! Hope to see you Tues!
    Daniel didn't you have Chuck install a strap button on your Moore Bettah? Btw it was great meeting you, and your family. Hope to see you again soon with my custom. Sorry you couldn't make the luau it was actually very nice with Damon, and great authentic food.

Mainland ukes (and to my mind, all ukes) aren't collectables---they're instruments that are meant to be played and enjoyed. If a strap will help you enjoy your uke, go for it. Install an endpin, tie that mando strap to the headstock, stand up, and have a blast!
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Newportlocal View Post
    Daniel didn't you have Chuck install a strap button on your Moore Bettah? Btw it was great meeting you, and your family. Hope to see you again soon with my custom. Sorry you couldn't make the luau it was actually very nice with Damon, and great authentic food.
    I love strap buttons! I was joking about her selling ukes more than what she paid...I'm hoping to get the friend discount!

Glad you had a good time. I've been busy w family matters.

Thread Information