Ukulele Exercises For Dummies

Amazon just sent me an apologetic email saying that delivery was being put off until 5/8/2013.

I also received an update to the update of a new arrival date of 5.8.13

I sense a pattern.... Is anyone expecting another apologetic email from Amazon on May 8th? :)

I might just have to go and get the Kindle version in the meantime! Is this a cunning strategy by Amazon? Hmmmm....

Wow! A whole page of California posts. I wonder which out of stater will break the chain?

Wow! A whole page of California posts. I wonder which out of stater will break the chain?

I guess its a West Coast thing...No email for me.

No delay email for me yet either. So maybe that breaks the West Coast chain? Site claims delivery between 4/29 and 5/2 but no shipment yet.

Guess I'll be getting a delay email any time. This from Brett McQueen ...

"Update on the US release date for Ukulele Exercises For Dummies
I announced earlier this month that my new book Ukulele Exercises For Dummies would be released in the United States on April 15th, 2013. Unfortunately, Amazon and other major online bookstores have been required to push this date back to May 6th, 2013. When the publisher received sample printing of this title, there were print inconsistencies that did not meet their product standards. They have fixed those and estimate that the title will ship to United States customers in the week of May 6th. Again, I apologize for this delay."

Guess I'll be getting a delay email any time. This from Brett McQueen ...

"Update on the US release date for Ukulele Exercises For Dummies
I announced earlier this month that my new book Ukulele Exercises For Dummies would be released in the United States on April 15th, 2013. Unfortunately, Amazon and other major online bookstores have been required to push this date back to May 6th, 2013. When the publisher received sample printing of this title, there were print inconsistencies that did not meet their product standards. They have fixed those and estimate that the title will ship to United States customers in the week of May 6th. Again, I apologize for this delay."

Bummer I saw on the Amazon site it did say release May 6 but I was hoping to get it earlier...

'Didn't find if anyone noted this, but the exercises are designed (and the MP3s feature) an ukulele tuned with High G. I figured many of the exercises are created to give your fingers a workout and low or high wouldn't matter in most cases--although the audio accompaniment would sound different. Brett concurred in an email to me; he wrote: "You are right that many of the exercises and examples would work just fine with a low G tuned ukulele. The only thing is that the notes that fall on the 4th string wouldn't match up with the note in the written music notation. In some of the fingerstyle songs, my arrangement could sound a little weird with the low G tuning, but for the most part, it shouldn't be a problem."

I've had this book for a week (Kindle version, on my iPad) and I'm finding it a wonderful resource. I do wish Amazon's Kindle version of this book was available in an "enhanced" version, as Al's is; this would mean that the related MP3s for each exercise would be "posted" in the book right where the printed exercise/lesson is and then be playable from inside the electronic book itself. Oh, well...that's a small issue and it's just about convenience. Buy it, anyway! This book won't hang out on your "ukulele learning bookshelf" gathering dust--it'll spend its time in your hands, being used to become a better player!

I am glad to hear it is still worth it if you are a low g player. I am off to get the iBooks version. :)

I might just have to go and get the Kindle version in the meantime! Is this a cunning strategy by Amazon? Hmmmm....
I don't have a Kindle, but I suppose they're convenient. :)

What I can't understand is how they can charge nearly the same, or in some cases even more, for a Kindle edition vs. a hard copy.

An electronic copy costs next to nothing in the manufacturing/delivery scheme. A hard copy incurs costs for printing, inventory, shipping, etc.

I don't have a Kindle, but I suppose they're convenient. :)

What I can't understand is how they can charge nearly the same, or in some cases even more, for a Kindle edition vs. a hard copy.

An electronic copy costs next to nothing in the manufacturing/delivery scheme. A hard copy incurs costs for printing, inventory, shipping, etc.

I think ebooks are horrendously overpriced for the same reasons. But unless we all stop buying ebooks for the convenience, I guess they have us. BTW, you may be aware but you can download and read kindle books (and nook books) with the kindle (or nook) app on a tablet or smartphone. You don't have to have the actual device.

If you have an Android device, install Moon Reader. It supports all ebook formats and I'd never use anything else.

Got 'the letter' today:

McQueen, Brett "Ukulele Exercises For Dummies"
Estimated arrival date: May 13, 2013 - May 16, 2013​

I sense a pattern.... Is anyone expecting another apologetic email from Amazon on May 8th? :)

Amazon is guessing delivery dates of May 9-13 for me...

I ordered the kindle version, but if I only had the kindle to read it on, I probably wouldn't have. I do have the iPad and on that, along with the download of the mp3s, the reading and listening is easy. As for the actual contents, whilemI uave't actually played all the exercises, I have skimmed through the entire book and have begun the exercises - I'm finding them very helpful. Skipping around is also okay if you want to bone up on strumming techniques or perhaps picking. Glad I bought it. Two criticisms - one minor and one annoying. The author can't seem to decide how he wants to spell certain words. He sems to flip between American and English spelling of "practice" and "practise", sometimes in the same sentence! The annoying thing is some mp3 demos of songs DON'T match the tableture - Brett plays the tableture and seems to lay down another track of melody. So if you're expecting to play the printed tabs and sound like the mp3 demos, you"ll be wrong. Perhaps he did this instead of singing along. I couldn't find where he explains why he did this. In any case, I'm finding the exercises to be very helpful.
Regards,
Kevin

I guess we really asked to be jerked around with the release date by pre identifying out self as Dummies.

Had mine a lttle while and had a read through. Looks as though it's going to be fun!
Only comments I have, not having perfect vision, is that the the Chord boxes are too small and the fret numbers on the tabs are also too small.
It also took me a while to find the sound samples on the website.
h

I just got a delivery update from Amazon quoting a delivery date of May 9th to 11th, moved earlier from the prior estimate of May 13th to May 16th.

Top Bottom