What are the Holy Grails of the Uke world?

Asturias from Kyushu Island, Japan, made in high gloss, spruce-top, rosewood body cutaway super soprano (yes, you read that right--a cutaway super soprano) with new Gotoh planetary tuners in an RB Continental case.

View attachment 51907

That's it in the second humidifier down on the right. Can you see it? It's looking at you.

(Thanks, Andrew!)

Haha good one cool..

come on move to Hawaii like me you won't need all that humidity control stuff...Lol

but for real..good idea must get dry in the summers and wet/cold in the winters Huh?

The truly original Hawaiian design 'ukulele the Kamaka Pineapple! ;)
whole8.jpg

Last edited:
My secret build is my Holy Grail! I'll let you guys know when it's done;) I don't want orders coming in so he doesn't finish mine. He's been building my uke for 5 months now.... and he's only working on the neck:)

But that Kamaka that Andrew is talking about has some serious mojo....

The one I'm waiting for. Patiently, which isn't easy, let me tell you.

Other than that, an immaculate solid-wood Le Domino from the 20s.

The holy grail for me would be to duplicate any strumming that I hear flawlessly.
Semi-holy grails would be the perfect strings and being able to pick eith four fingers.
Not holy at all is the uke itself. I played dozens in various price-ranges and didn't care about which one I played. So I got my UAS fixed and just play my Dolphin till it falls apart.

This is fascinating!

There are some beautiful pieces of wood in this list!
I'm new to this so there are several I've never seen or heard of before.
Much to learn!

I feel very fortunate that I was able to acquire one of my personl "holy grail" ukes, the National Resophonic Triollian. I would love to have a vintage National steel body from the '30s though.

Grails are for drinking out of. Liquids and wood don't get along together. Holy Grails are pretty much out of reach. Put it all together and you have the only Uke that fits all three criteria; the Outdoor Ukulele.

DeVine, Hive, Moore Bettah, Collings Custom, Turner Custom, Kamaka Special <slot-head, radius ebony keyboard, full figured Koa, Long Neck Tenor, with abalone fret markers/insignia/rosette>

Are we talking rarest? Most valuable? Most revered? I have to think vintage Martin's and Kamaka's are right up there for vintage stuff.

But everyone has their own personal "holy grail" uke, the one they dream of but that is just out of reach, the top uke on their "if I win the powerball" list. I don't know what that would be for me... it's hard to narrow it down to a single uke if money is no object. :D

The Holy Grail of ukuleles is buying one off Amazon, and the action being low enough so that you can play all through "Goodnight Irene" without flubbing a single Bb chord.

"favorite uncle", well put ... I've been around Kimo a couple of time, much impressed by his personality and playing! ... he played my Pono in a workshop because he didn't bring a uke ... great gentle man

Top Bottom