Cherub tuner and low G

bborzell

Reaction score
I must be missing something. I have several clip on tuners (chromatic) that have no trouble picking up low G. I bought a new Cherub that was a "designated" Ukulele tuner and it won't do anything with low G except tell me that the string is 50 cents flat when it is spot on.

Seems odd that a tuner that can do both C and D tunings can't read a lower octave on a uke.

Which model do you have... WST 550c I think you may have a defective tuner because mine does...actually if you have the model I have you are supposed to easily...

Hmmm...

Mine is a WST550U or Cherub Ukulele Mate. Maybe I need to buy another uke and tune it to high G.

I use a cherub also..with a low G string..when it reads G it is a low G
I had a Kala tuner that said lowG when you tuned it..is that what you are lookin got?

Mine reads out the 1st through 3rd strings and shows sharp and flat degrees until the green light goes on to reflect the string being in tune. With the low G, the "in tune" led stays red ant the flat 50 led lights up and they both stay that way no matter how I change tension on the string.

maybe you need a new battery..you don't know how long that battery has been in the tuner..i hope Stan checks in again..he is an cherub expert

Aloha Len,
He needs the WST 550c tuner....and teach him what I thought you in a PM....next in line always teaches man... :)

I think he got the right tuner but broke,,he says the tuners does not work for the G string?battery dead..

It looks like the Cherub "ukulele tuner" (WST-550U) does not consider a tenor uke with a low G string to be a ukulele. Maybe Cherub thinks it's a tuba. The WST-550C is described both as chromatic and for lutes. Great, now I have to buy a lute. Amazon has the 550C for $32 where the weird 550U was $8. Maybe the price premium comes about because lutes are a rather small market to draw from.

Just did a search on the Amazon reviews. Found several comments about this thing not wanting to read low G

It's going back to Amazon. It is too small to be used as a doorstop and I don't want a lute.

Last edited:
Oh yeah

you right..I could not see the model number on my tuner..my eyes were tired last night..
where does Bo get his from E-bay? he pays way less right?

Quick! You gotta stop posting. Your last one was 1,234. Or you could really ramp up and go for broke and shoot for 12,345!;)

Quick! You gotta stop posting. Your last one was 1,234. Or you could really ramp up and go for broke and shoot for 12,345!;)

Haha..I am trying to catch up with Stan..
oh I see what you mean...good one

Top Bottom