Guitar to Baritone Uke?

ryandaily

Reaction score
Okay I bought a super-cheap guitar while on vacation in Flagstaff and upon taking it home (back to Phoenix) and tuning it, I came to realize how horrid it sounded. Not to mention that I've never played guitar before. All that muting was killing my left thumb (I've both broken it and sliced a half-inch gash in it in the past year) so I took the top two strings off hoping to maybe get a baritone-ish uke/guitar monster. The body is very small; I think it was marketed towards children. I moved the strings around and cut new slits in the nut so they were evenly spaced and I'm not gonna lie, it actually sounds moderately decent. I love the "boomy" sound I get as compared to my concert uke. I'm now in the process of committing baritone chords to memory.

I was just wondering if any one else has done this and maybe if there is anything else I can do to further improve the sound like maybe nylon strings (would I get classical guitar strings or what?).

There are members who use D'Addario and Savarez on their ukes. The list of threads should provide you with some good info.

I was looking for a more personalized answer/insights but thanks.

Top Bottom