Share your photo entries for HMS Kamaka Competition...Voting live from 3-17 May

-Emma-

Reaction score
Hi,
Just thought I'd start a thread for those of us who have entered the HMS Kamaka photo competition :) . Voting is live from 3-17 May so currently you can only view entries. When voting starts you can place one vote for one photo each day, and the photo with the most votes will win the ukulele.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-photo-contest

This is the link to my entry :) :

Title: Ukulele Shame
http://iframe.wizehive.com/voting/view/516ec858-60b8-43c8-a562-17510a20adfa/14290/1234478/0

IMG_4763_zps6a4c4307.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my entry and the email that I sent out to my coworkers:

Hi all,

As some of you already know, I'm a ukulele player. It might sound stupid but it keeps me busy and everybody needs a hobby. I'm not very good but who says that you have to be good at something to enjoy it. I bought a ukulele in Hawaii a few years ago and I have discovered that ukuleles are like salted peanuts in that you can never have just one. The ukulele store that I've frequented in Hawaii (Hawaii Music Supply) is having a photo contest and the winning entry will win a $1000 ukulele. This is where I need some help. The contest isn't judged on photographic merit, it's just judged by the number of votes that a particular photo gets. To win you need either an awful lot of friends or lots of friends or coworkers with an awful lot of friends. I just checked my Facebook page and I have five friends that are actually all relatives so I think that I may have a problem here. I need votes therefore this is my one message campaign. People can vote once per day from May 3 to May 17. I've listed the link to my photo below. My entry may not be the best but, trust me, I did get rather cold posing for it. My entry is "Chillin' at the beach Canadian style".

http://iframe.wizehive.com/voting/view/516ec858-60b8-43c8-a562-17510a20adfa/14289/1242928/0

Any support would be greatly appreciated and I promise that if I happened to win that I won't play for you until I get good.

Bob

Chillin' at the beach Canadian style (Medium).jpg

Here's mine, called Ukulele Blossom.

Ukulele_Blossom.jpg

Mine's called "ukulele kitty" but I can't get it uploaded here for some reason. My little cat Gabe photobombed pics I was taking when I got my new ukes a few months ago.

It won't win but it's fun to have it there.

I guess it really is a popularity contest. I think all the photos are cool because they convey something personal about the person who took them and/or the person whose ukulele it is, but (and I say this as someone who's posted the link to my entry on my Facebook page and asked people to vote for me), I suspect that most votes are the product of friends helping friends and not a judgment of what the best photo is in terms of lighting, composition, and all those other things by which photographs are generally judged. The popularity aspect of the vote is only exacerbated by the fact that people can vote every 24 hours. This isn't a complaint -- I didn't enter the contest with any expectation of winning (and I promised myself I'd give the ukulele away if I did win it) -- and I think that HMS can use any means it chooses to award prizes, but I expect that the final vote will be more of a statement about which entrants were able to motivate more people to vote for them more often than it will be about anything else.

I've managed to coax (some bribery involved too! lol) some coworkers and other forum peeps to vote and I've managed to move up the board a few spots but still a LONG way from anywhere near the top, heck, I'm still on page 2. By my estimate, if the front runners are keeping up their pace since day one, they're still 200 odd votes ahead of me, but I'm going down without a good fight. Ha!

Who would've thought that trying to coax votes was almost a full time job? I feel like a politician walking though the office making small talk and asking for votes etc. :p

Anywho, my submission without all the garble text in the image:

http://iframe.wizehive.com/voting/view/516ec858-60b8-43c8-a562-17510a20adfa/14289/1242811/0

8424846680_1ac766239b_z.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom