Best passive piezo UST pickup?

13down

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a *passive* piezo UST that won't pick up too much body noise and won't interfere too much with the acoustic sound.

I'm going to use an external DI preamp so I have no need for an onboard preamp. In fact, I want to avoid an onboard preamp altogether. I don't want all that stuff inside the uke, especially if the DI box will sound better, anyway.

Another reason that I'm avoiding the onboard preamp is that many (I'm thinking of the Misi and the Five.0) come with auto-EQ'd sound. I don't want that. In addition to it being redundant if you get a DI box, I don't like the idea of a "one size fits all" EQ. I can't imagine that one setting could truly be "right" for all ukes. An EQ setting that sounds fine on a soprano probably won't work on a bari.

I also, for obvious reasons, don't like changing batteries *inside* a tiny soundhole. I'd go for the Misi, but it's got that auto-EQ that I'm trying to avoid.

I have a uke with a Pono pickup, which I'd heard was a good UST. But it picks up so much body noise (sound of uke brushing against my shirt, sound of my hand touching the neck) that it's nearly unmanageable.

So does anybody have advice on a passive UST that won't pick up body noise, won't change the unplugged sound too much, and will sound OK when fed into an external DI box?

I use the Fishman AG-UKE passive pickup in 3 of my Kanileʻa (the 4th has a K&K Twin Spot), all of which go into an LR Baggs Venue DI. As natural of a sound as I've found, virtually no body noise and the element is appropriately sized for an ukulele.

~Michael

Hi all,

I'm looking for a *passive* piezo UST that won't pick up too much body noise and won't interfere too much with the acoustic sound.

I'm going to use an external DI preamp so I have no need for an onboard preamp. In fact, I want to avoid an onboard preamp altogether. I don't want all that stuff inside the uke, especially if the DI box will sound better, anyway.

Another reason that I'm avoiding the onboard preamp is that many (I'm thinking of the Misi and the Five.0) come with auto-EQ'd sound. I don't want that. In addition to it being redundant if you get a DI box, I don't like the idea of a "one size fits all" EQ. I can't imagine that one setting could truly be "right" for all ukes. An EQ setting that sounds fine on a soprano probably won't work on a bari.

I also, for obvious reasons, don't like changing batteries *inside* a tiny soundhole. I'd go for the Misi, but it's got that auto-EQ that I'm trying to avoid.

I have a uke with a Pono pickup, which I'd heard was a good UST. But it picks up so much body noise (sound of uke brushing against my shirt, sound of my hand touching the neck) that it's nearly unmanageable.

So does anybody have advice on a passive UST that won't pick up body noise, won't change the unplugged sound too much, and will sound OK when fed into an external DI box?

I admit I am not an expert, but I am currently researching the subject. I believe you are working on a false assumption about an onboard preamp being redundant. Did you see the video from HMS comparing 5 UST pickups? 3 were passive, 2 active and the active sounded worlds better than the passive. You might want to look into that assumption to be sure it is valid. Most pros use an active pickup into a DI... so I would assume that is likely the best setup.

Please: HMS video link?

Did you see the video from HMS comparing 5 UST pickups? 3 were passive, 2 active and the active sounded worlds better than the passive.

Hi, I'm new here.

I've searched these forums and also looked on the youtube channel for HMS (I assume Hawaii Music Supply) and can not find this video you are referring to.

I am interested in this video too. Do you have a link or maybe can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-Booli

thanks

Thanks everyone.

I will probably go with the AG-Uke.

I have also been curious about the Shadow passive pickup. There has already been a thread about that but there wasn't much info about those particular pickups, just some people saying that they generally prefer Fishman to Shadow.

The reason I'm curious is that I believe the Shadow passive uke pickup that's on the market is different than the "Shadow P3" that's in many acoustic-electric ukes.

In addition, said acoustic-electrics with the Shadow pickup also have $10 Belcat preamps installed, which I imagine is not going to make any piezo element sound particularly good.

Anyway, if anyone has had experience with both the Shadow passive and the Fishman passive, and can share their experience with me, I'd be eternally grateful. :)

I had an undersaddle pickup put into a martin Concert ukulele that I bought on ebay 16 years ago. At that time there was very little ukulele information posted on the internet. (compared to today) I had no idea what brand/type to get, so I ended up searching bulletin boards that were Acoustic Guitar oriented. Everybody was really raving about the Pick Up the World pickups, saying these were the best you can get. And lo and behold they had one listed specifically for Ukulele. So I bought that 16 years ago and had a luthier guy install it. It's still in there and going strong. Every year since I still get compliments about the sound of that thing, and I'm very happy I went with it.
http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/ukulele.htm

It's passive, and so there's a jack drilled in the end pin postion on the ukulele. I then plug in a short guitar cable to that and into an external preamp. Which I bought a Fishman ProEqII, and that then runs to the mixing board or amp.

Top Bottom