Second Ukulele Help!

saaahm

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been playing my concert Lanikai for nearly a year now and I am loving it. I've been looking at possibly getting another ukulele-like instrument and was hoping to get some advice on what you reckon the best thing is for me to get.

I am very into blues, bluegrass and jazzy type music and love to experiment with these on the ukulele. I have been thinking at perhaps getting a baritone although I don't know how I'll cope with the tuning? I can't play the guitar so I'm not sure I will get on with the DGBE tuning. I have also been considering getting a firefly banjo uke for the bluegrassy sound but it is rather expensive, I was also possibly considering the Guitalele but I reckon it might be a big learning curve?

Thank you guys, any advise would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

I personally don't like baritones or the guitalele but I think the banjo ukes are really cool but it's all up to you some people really like the baritones and guitarleles so id say go on youtube and look up each type of music you want to play on each instrument and see what you like most

You might consider getting a tenor, and have it tuned to Low G... good for jazz and blues. It would give you something slightly different, but still familiar.

Happy shopping.

–Lori

I'd suggest a baritone tuned not in traditional baritone DGBE, but rather in reentrant and familiar to you, just lower,dGBE.

If you search UU for the epic Baritone UAS thread, just search Baritone UAS, you'll see a long and useful thread with video examples and discussion if tunings,and in particular the dGBE tuning, string choices, etc. it's ideal for blues, btw.

ADDENDUM: here you go saahm. Great information in this thread--plus examples of alt. tunings.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?72996-Baritone-UAS&highlight=baritone

Last edited:
Top Bottom