Is a high-end Uke a bad idea for a rookie?

That's my problem, too.

My practice is not limited, these days anyway, by energy, time or desire.
It's limited by - my sore finger tips.

So, now that you have that beautiful uke, you have heard, haven't you, that we all need at Least two, so that you always have a stable tuned uke if you change strings on one.

So, when are you getting the second? :D

When I get a lot more proficient with my playing, we'll think about it.

That looks like something my wife would say. Let's run with that!

I've been taking lessons for approximately 4 months, but I have always loved the Uke, Hawaiian music, and the culture. I simply love the sound of the Koa Tenors, it honestly puts a smile on my face and I believe they are a work of art. I could spend 4-5 hours per day just uking around when my time is truly my own.

I make a comfortable living and take great care of my things, but would it be completely asinine of me to drop 1000-1500 on a Hawaiian Koa Tenor as a rookie player? I'm not worried about the love affair ending, I'm not worried about the financial side, I'm more curious as to the practicality side. Hell if I lost both my arms, I'd be content to hang it on the wall just to stare at.

I don't want to be the 16 year old with the sports car, or the over equipped skier on the bunny hill...you know the types, I don't want to be "THAT guy". :cool:

Thanks ukers!
So, what do you look for if you’re in the market for a ukulele?

“You want one that inspires you to play,” said Jake Shimabukuro, whose 2011 album, “Peace, Love, Ukulele” debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard World Music charts. “It’s got to be comfortable, it’s got to be easy on your fingers and you have to feel like ‘this feels real good.’ Because then you’ll always be inspired to pick it up and practice.”

His advice is to spend a little extra to get the instrument you really love.

“Then you’re really going to respect the instrument and you’re gonna want to pick it up, you’re gonna want to show it to people, you’re gonna want to play it all the time and check on it and wipe it down after you’re done playing. I think it’s important to have that kind of bond with your instrument.”

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/entertainme...at-look-if-you-want-buy-ukulele#ixzz2T6ybZWMT
http://jacksonville.com/entertainment/music/2013-03-15/story/what-look-if-you-want-buy-ukulele

my first uke was a KoAloha Secptre Tenor I know I should love it but I never play it and it costs alot
the uke I play all the time was given to me for Free and and seems to be a perfect match for me its a koa pili koko pineapple uke
price means nothing shop with your ears

I liked that article until I read this:

Fuller said there are three basic types of ukuleles, the soprano, the concert and the tenor.

Aw, cmon. [baritone player here - is my instrument not a Real uke? ;) ]

Naaa! It's a scaled down tenor guitar :nana:

Last edited:
I liked that article until I read this:

Aw, cmon. [baritone player here - is my instrument not a Real uke? ;) ]

Oh, it is a Real uke alright... just that it's a SPECIALTY uke--together with bass ukes, taropatches, and guitaleles--ukes that many mere mortals do not play; ukes that only uke aficionados play :)

To quote other people, and possibly repeat myself:
"buy cheap and you buy twice"

"quality is appreciated long after the price is forgotten"

More originally - my kiwaya kts 5 gives me a thrill of pleasure just opening damn the case, it's beatiful.

Finally to quote my father " Sure enough, the bank will keep your money all tidy, even when they're screwin' down your lid".

Im new too

I figure why not learn to play on a good instrument. You learn good technique from the start instead of having to overcome the bad habits picked up from playing a cheap toy. I admit, I tend to go a little overboard when I pick up something new but WTH if I have a good piece of equipment that I dont use I can probably resell it. Go for the good stuff. Life's too short to play with cheap tools.

Top Bottom