G chords makes a terrible sound - cheap Tenson uke

cdarbaud

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a total newbie. I just got a cheap tenson soprano ukulele from a local music shop. The guy at the shop played it for me and it sounded ok enough.

I took it home and tuned it with clear tune and I'm having fun with it. BUT, for some reason, both G7 and G major chords sound terrible. When I strum all 4 strings, it sounds like one of the notes in the chord is off key.

I've checked the tuning and double checked. I've tuned it in regular GCEA. I'm using clear tune on my ipad to tune it.

I thought maybe the strings were bad, so I restringed it to D'addario J65. The problem remains... When I fingerpick the string, I can't quite tell which one is causing the problem. But when I strum down, it definitely sounds yuk. The other chords I've tried sound ok (Am, C, F...). I've double checked my finger position, I think I'm doing it right (but who knows).

Any idea what the problem could be? I might be doing something wrong, but what?

Could it be that there is something wrong with the instrument? It's under warranty for a year so I could try and take it back to the shop to ask them... but it's an hour drive away... will they complain that I have changed the strings?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Claire

Strings are the first thing to check, and you've done that-- well done! Since that doesn't appear to be the issue, odds are good that the intonation is off somewhere on the uke. Since Am, C, and F sound okay, but G and G7 don't, that would seem to point to your 3d, or C string, since it is fretted on G and G7, but not on the other chords. As usually the thickest string on a re-entrant uke, the C can be a source of intonation issues.

Since you have a tuner, it's easy to test. Does you C string note true all the way up the fretboard? Or does it go sharp or flat the further up you go?

There are many causes of intonation problems but one of the most common is a poorly cut nut. Does your 3d string sit on top of the nut, rather than nestled in the nut slot? If so, that may well be the source of your problem.

Since you are a newbie, odds are good you can't fix this issue on your own. I would definitely take it back to the shop (or call them first). Changing the strings should not ever void an instrument warranty-- you'll do it all the time!

This is very common on inexpensive ukuleles. The problem is almost certainly that the nut is too high, this will pull the strings very sharp when you fret at the first couple of frets - in extreme cases I've seen it affect the tuning all the way to the fifth fret. Inexpensive instruments have simple molded plastic nuts that are simply popped in place and no one ever does the hand fitting needed to make the thing play properly.

You need to take it to a shop for a "setup" or, and if the uke is really cheap this is the route I would take, carefully file the nut slots down yourself. You want to make them as low as you can without the strings buzzing. If the fretwork isn't terrible you can usually achieve decent intonation even on very inexpensive ukes.

If you go too low and the string starts buzzing you can use a little super glue or even hard nail polish to build it back up slightly.

John

Strings are the first thing to check, and you've done that-- well done! Since that doesn't appear to be the issue, odds are good that the intonation is off somewhere on the uke. Since Am, C, and F sound okay, but G and G7 don't, that would seem to point to your 3d, or C string, since it is fretted on G and G7, but not on the other chords. As usually the thickest string on a re-entrant uke, the C can be a source of intonation issues.

You're right, it is the C string that sounds "off"

Since you have a tuner, it's easy to test. Does you C string note true all the way up the fretboard? Or does it go sharp or flat the further up you go?

I'm note sure what you mean by "note true all the way up the fretboard"
Yet, I've tried all notes up the C string and I get weird results. Empty string gives me a C, then 1st fret gives me a C# (my logic says that's normal, isn't it?), but the 2nd fret gives a note half way beetween D and Eb with a plasticky sound, then 3rd fret gives a Eb (back to normal, right?). Is that an intonation problem?

There are many causes of intonation problems but one of the most common is a poorly cut nut. Does your 3d string sit on top of the nut, rather than nestled in the nut slot? If so, that may well be the source of your problem.

It's nestled in the nut slot.

I guess I'll call the shop to,orrow and ask them...

Thanks for your fast reply :)
Claire

Intersting :) It is a cheap uke with a plastic nut. I'm intrigued when you mention "buzzing". It already feels like the C chord is somewhat "buzzing" like the buzzing on that video
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fLvGcXhZlQ4

So I take it I shoudn't file down or it might make the buzzing worse?

The shop also repairs instruments, so I guess they can probably fix it... I'll take it back :)

Doing any work yourself will void the warranty....sometimes even the string change would.... self diagnosing may prove disaster, since we cannot see or hear the uke and going
by your words our suggestions are worthless.... take it back and get it checked... one thing, you said it sounded good when they played it....could your tuner be off or the intonation
cheap ukes and most dealers do not do a set up.....buy from a reputable dealer that does set up, may cost more but you save in the long run, some cheap ukes may sound good with upgraded strings and a set up....I would try martin strings too...Good Luck...

I’m a professional musician (clarinet), and I bought a cheap ukulele a few weeks ago just for fun. I have exactly the same problem – in fact I found this forum by searching for “ukulele G major intonation”. I find that especially the D (on the C string) is terribly sharp in the G major chord. It’s better when I don’t press the strings right down to the board, so that they’re not overly tensioned. (As a beginner, I find the fingering for G major really tricky anyway!) As a makeshift remedy, I’ve started taking care to only play the top three strings, avoiding the open G. That way, they are all sharp by much the same amount, so it sounds OK.

To check the C string with your tuner, play it without fretting (open) then fret at the 12th fret - should be an octave apart (in other words the next higher C). If it isn't then the intonation is off and needs a set up.

Seeing as how you purchased at a local store, take it back and have them properly set it up for you-should have been done prior to your purchase. just my $.02

You should not have to press the string down to the fretboard to get a clean note. Play the string fretting the 1st fret. Lessen the pressure a bit and play it again. Lessen it more, etc. until the note is no longer clear. The pressure you want to use is just a little more than that point. It takes a while to get used to playing with the power pressure.

I have read that guitar players are particularly prone to playing with way too much pressure making chords.

I agree with the others, it sounds like the setup is too high. Meaning the strings are too high above the fret wires. There are two places this height can be adjusted. At the saddle, or at the nut.

If the slots in the nut are too high, the strings will be difficult to push down to make chords using the first two or three frets. Especially barre chords.

If the saddle is too high, the space between the top of the 12th fret wire to the bottom of the strings will too much. The intonation will not be right.

As mentioned numerous times, the most likely culprit is high action at the nut that's causing intonation issues, but unfortunately on very cheap ukuleles even adjusting the nut might not fix the issue.

Have a look at this:

The C string is the thickest and stiffest, so is more prone to "fret sharp", particularly on on the short length of a soprano. Filing the nut slots as described above can help but may not solve the problem. My first uke was quite expensive but even so it was a bit off on all the strings, though worst on the C. I eventually solved it like this:

• I changed the Aquila Nylgut strings to fluorocarbons, which are thinner and more flexible.
  • I filed the nut to lower the action.
  • Even so, the nut wasn't in quite the right place (too far from the bridge) so I added a thin slip of hardwood in front of it to form a 'zero' fret. It is held in place by the tension of the strings.
  • I fitted a new saddle which I had filed to compensate it.
After all this the uke plays perfectly in tune :). But unless you are used to tinkering and have the tools and materials to do it, you'd be better returning it to the shop.

Top Bottom