Collings size question

Markr1

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked before or not. If so I couldn't find it. I wonder why Collings didn't make soprano ukes? I'm not into sopranos but still wonder why?

I don't think Collings has to compete with anyone. They have proven themselves with any instrument they've built.
They would have to compete with Martin and they know they would lose :eek:

Last edited:
Most of the guitarists I know who also play ukulele don't enjoy playing sopranos. I'm guessing Collings knows their customer base well.

(This is actually why I haven't considered a Collings - I play mainly soprano, and while I've encountered some sweet Collings concerts and tenors, I haven't been too tempted because know they would get ignored.)

Last edited:
I can't answer that Stan. I wondered the same thing myself. I only know what I've heard from a few on here. Some say they are trying to catch up with back orders from stores and I've also heard their to expensive to make for the price their charging. I'm going to call them next week to see if they can send some Collings boxes for mine since don't have their original boxes and ask them if they are going to stop production on them.
What is with them and the rumor they want to cease production?

Anyone know how to date them? I know they have a stamped number on the neck block. The case has a date in it on the tag and I do think that dates the year tho not sure about that.

I can't answer that Stan. I wondered the same thing myself. I only know what I've heard from a few on here. Some say they are trying to catch up with back orders from stores and I've also heard their to expensive to make for the price their charging. I'm going to call them next week to see if they can send some Collings boxes for mine since don't have their original boxes and ask them if they are going to stop production on them.

Aloha Markie,
Have you seen this post?

I was told by one of Collings larger dealers that they would fill existing orders and be suspending future orders. Most of their focus now is on electric guitars and they were losing money on the ukuleles. He said they began making ukes as a way to keep the staff busy during the economic downturn.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Stan. We better hang onto our Collings if their going to stop making them.
Aloha Markie,
Have you seen this post?

I was told by one of Collings larger dealers that they would fill existing orders and be suspending future orders. Most of their focus now is on electric guitars and they were losing money on the ukuleles. He said they began making ukes as a way to keep the staff busy during the economic downturn.

if i recall correctly, collings started out with only concert ukes and quickly added a tenor size. pretty sure i heard something after namm where collings mentioned they're "looking at" a soprano for the future (whatever that means...)

it really doesn't make sense that collings would simply stop producing ukes because "they're losing money" on them. they sell literally every one they make and had pre-orders out the wazoo. the price has gone up considerably in the past year or two and they're still selling like crazy.

i remember bill collings saying in an interview that they were producing one uke a day at the current facility and were looking at ways to double that production.

chances are they're retooling or modifying the production process for a variety of reasons... but my money is on the return of collings ukes. they're spot on and excellent but expensive as you know what!

k

Here are my favorite Collings sizes all tenors.

Last edited:
I hope they double in price to but highly doubt it. It doesn't matter tho because I'm going to keep them regardless. I really like all of them.
Awesome Mark! I hope your Collings double in value.

Top Bottom