Have you owned multiple (3 or more) ukes from the same builder?

Most ukes from 1 builder have you owned?

Votes: 13 20.0%

Votes: 14 21.5%

Votes: 16 24.6%

Votes: 9 13.8%

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 6 or more

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

Doc_J

Reaction score
I was just thinking about the ukes I owned and have formerly owned.

There are some instances where either I consciously or subconsciously have been a serial owner or multi-owner, 3 or more ukes from a builder. Can't say exactly why. Sometimes it is a builder's sound and style just clicks with me, and possibly good buying opportunities. I have some great ukes that I have only 1 of that builder. So this is not a favorites list.

For me the ukes where I have owned several (3 or more) from 1 builder are:

4 Kanile'a (Super concert, 2 concerts, super soprano, tenor 6-string) still own 1
3 Kepasa (2 sopranos, 1 concert) still own 1
3 Boat Paddle (tenor, soprano, concert)still own 1
4 GString (2 sopranos, concert, super soprano) still own 1

How about it? Are you a serial uker, too?

Last edited:
Only Koalohas so far...I don't think I'll reach 3 with anyone else as I moved on to customs and the costs are much higher. I think 2 of each brand I own would be ideal...or a fantasy

Serial Kamaka owner here - I've owned 4 and have kept 2. I can't say exactly why either - I'm not generally a brand-name loyalist in any way.*

*Oh. Except for the multitude of Apple products in my life, and the fact that I've owned three Toyota Corollas in a row and would buy another in a heartbeat. So there goes that theory.

Presently own 3 Kamakas (2 concerts and a soprano) and 3 KoAlohas (a soprano and 2 concerts). Reluctantly decided to let some go. Now being sold on consignment at a local dealer. Just keeping one concert size of each.
Never thought I would be willing to part with these "keepers" . . .

The only thing I've owned three or more of is Mainlands (7) unless you count ukes I bought for the grandkids in which case Lanikai would be the big winner at around 9 or 10.

I really need to buy another KoAloha so I can add them to the 3 or more list...(hey, one excuse is as good as another, right?)

John

I own 4 Collings now but sold one a while back that I regret so a total of 5. I also had 3 Koalohas till recently if you include the Guitalele.

Four Makalas, I love cheapos.

Interesting thread, Doc. I was wondering who bought all the Kepasas!

2 Black Bears
2 Ponos
2 Kamakas
2 Ohana sopraninos
2 Koa Pili Kokos
2 Brukos for me. Only the Pono MB and the Brukos remain.

Last edited:
In the past, I've had quite a few Kamaka/KoAloha:
KoAloha: Soprano, Super Soprano, Concert, SuperConcert, 2x Tenor, Sceptre, PS.
Kamaka: Soprano, 2x Concert, Tenor, Tenor 6 string, 2x Tenor 8 string.
Downsized a lot from then. At one point, you realize you just can't play them all. Now, it's quality over quantity...not that those weren't quality instruments.

In the past, I've had quite a few Kamaka/KoAloha:
KoAloha: Soprano, Super Soprano, Concert, SuperConcert, 2x Tenor, Sceptre, PS.
Kamaka: Soprano, 2x Concert, Tenor, Tenor 6 string, 2x Tenor 8 string.
Downsized a lot from then. At one point, you realize you just can't play them all. Now, it's quality over quantity...not that those weren't quality instruments.

Yes. Exactly.

Goodness, never thought about it but here goes;
I've owned 3 Mainlands (still have 2)
3 Ovation ukes (1 today)
3 Gibsons at one time (none now)
3 Gretsch ukes (only 1 today)
6 Tangi ukes (3 currently all mini's)
11 Swagerty ukes (8 currently)
11 Martin made ukes (8 currently)
Those are the only multiples I can think of.......eeeks

3 vintage Gibsons (all sold)
3 vintage Martins (2 sold)
2 Kamakas
2 Glyphs (both sold)

3 Pohakus (2 concerts and a bari)
I've had 2 koalohas at different times and 2 Black Bears (still have one). Like many of you I'm on to customs and smaller numbers than days of old.

Four Brüko sporanos: maple soprano flat; maple soprano arched back, walnut fingerboard; cherry soprano, oe piece solid maple neck and fingerboard: Brüko #6.

Four Mainlands (at a time -- I have owned five Mainlands total... now it's down to two).

Like Daniel, I'm moving into custom territory, so I will likely be down to one Mainland within the year.

I'm currently in a love affair with Martin. Just added #3 today. I wouldn't mind adding another Compass Rose for re-entrant tuning either.

I have a Fluke, a Flea and a FireFly and my son has 3 Dolphins.

Scooter

Top Bottom