Old maton ukeleli needs a new home...

teejaya

Reaction score
I am the owner of a Maton Ukelele and it needs a new loving home. I bought the uke in 1973 (second hand already) from a long since closed music store in Perth. i had high hopes of learning to play it as is often the case my enthusiasm waned after not very long. I've had it knocking round the house for the past 40 years and I've recently found out that they are undergoing a resurgance in popularity.

Altho it would be nice to get some money for it, i am just as interested in finding it a good home. i took it to Zenith music here in Perth and they told me that although it is not nearly "mint" in condition it is ok for it's age and has a good tone.

Mostly I'd like it to be played by someone who will appreciate it as it has sentimental value to me.

It has a few imperfections but I have ben told nothing that can't be fixed.240420131100.jpg240420131102.jpg240420131103.jpg
Any takers?

Trev. 0412579113

Hi Teejaya,
If you're looking for someone to repair it and get it back in good playing condition I would be very interested in restoring your ukulele. I am pretty good at basic set-up work and have been looking for a more challenging project...your uke would be a nice challenge for me. I've saved a few old guitars that needed some similar repairs with good success...they ain't pretty but they play nice now.
Good luck finding a new home for your uke!
Cheers!
Glenn

G'day m8, I suppose I really should have entitled the post "HOW MUCH IS MY UKE WORTH?"

Of course everyone wants a bargain (especially a purchaser) How much do YOU think this old unit is worth? Is it a collector's item? Can you, should you advise me about this?

Trev.

Cool old uke, teejaya.

Here are some guidelines for selling in the marketplace: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?74890-How-to-Sell-Ukuleles-in-the-Marketplace-READ-BEFORE-POSTING. They'll help you find a prospective buyer.

I'm guessing you're in AU, so you might want to consider how you'd handle shipping as well.

Welcome to UU. (If you decide to keep the uke and have another go at learning, then this is the place.)

You are the seller.Seems more like a fishing trip.It obviously has been collected by yourself for many decades.professional restoration is expensive.to repeat is it a concert?Is there a case?What is your asking price?

I'm a novice seeking information...

Although I have had this uke a long time I am a complete novice when it comes to what to expect from my beloved Maton. Keeping in mind that is is what it is and there is no case and only 3 strings I have no idea of an "asking price".

Perhaps some kind, knowledgable person or persons who are not themselves wanting to buy it could give me some guidance?

I have no idea...

Thanks

Trev

Thanks for the interest.

So.. any suggestions as to what it is really worth???

With the poor condition it's in and no case; I'd guess 50 bucks. It's all about condition and this one is very poor. They made them in the '60's so not really that old for vintage. It's not just a matter of gluing the top back on; I'm sure the bracing has been affected as well and the neck could be warped. A new Maton with hardshell case can be had for around 549.00.

Last edited:
With the poor condition it's in and no case; I'd guess 50 bucks. It's all about condition and this one is very poor. They made them in the '60's so not really that old for vintage. It's not just a matter of gluing the top back on; I'm sure the bracing has been affected as well and the neck could be warped. A new Maton with hardshell case can be had for around 549.00.

I am a vintage ukulele guy and I agree with Patrick. The condition is pretty poor, finish is faded, and glue has let go. I think $50.00 USD would be the top range of value for this ukulele.

Top Bottom