Ukulele tabs - squiggly line pointing up

jinsk90

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know what the squiggly line infront of a note that points up is?

Thanks.

I don't really know but I think that it means that you only strum from that string up. If not, I have no idea. Anyone care to share??

The Dominator would know.

Yes, that's a strum. Sometimes it'll tell you which stings NOT to stum. If the squiggly isn't on the A, don't strum A...

Actually if you look closely, you will see an arrow on either the top or the bottom of the squiggle. This indicates which direction you should strum, from top to bottom or bottom to top.

Yes. Instead of strumming the chord, you play a broken chord. That means you play the 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st strings quickly one after the other using 4 different fingers starting with the thumb. (T 1 2 3).

It is a common classical guitar technique. I use it all the time.

So its NOT a strum?!! Geesh. Kinna puts a new spin on some of the tabs I previously thought of as boring.

K, I'll shut up now.:cool:

This is a question and reply form another thread:
what do the squiggly line on the tabs mean? im new to tabs and wasnt sure
Those lines mean to strum in one continuous stroke in the direction of the squiggly line. If you look closely you will see an arrow at the end of the line indicating whether to stroke up or down. Most of the time it is down but in some songs it is necessary to strum/stroke upwards.
Good luck,

Squiggly Lines

[Classical Music Mode On]

Arpeggio is a musical technique where notes in a chord are played or sung in sequence, one after the other, rather than ringing out simultaneously.

[Classic Music Mode Off]

The 'squiggly line' indicate that it is played 'arpeggio' rather than a quick strum. You can pick the notes, but I actually find that strumming the chord slowly and deliberately one note at a time with the fleshy side of the thumb or the index finger, depending on the direction of the arrow, works really well and is much easier than plucking. The technique fills in the sound nicely.

Note that the direction of the arrow is important!

An alternative is to simply pluck the last note (top or bottom) at that point.

Look up "Solobuch" and you will find it full of song based entirely on this technique. I hope to get a couple of songs recorded and up on YouTube in the next month.

Top Bottom