Strumming Techniques for Ukulele - Workshop @ Elderly Instruments in Lansing

mitchchang

Reaction score
Come join us for a special workshop designed to get ukulele players strumming grooves from their favorite songs, by ear, in seconds!

Saturday , May 25, 2013 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Location: Elderly Instruments http://www.elderly.com/events/2013/event_page?eid=993
workshop ($40)

A recent attendee's recap of this 90-minute workshop:

"The strumming workshop was awesome. Mitch Chang is an expert teacher who had us playing from the start. He used an elegant sequence of instruction and techniques that swiftly had us playing one style of music, then another, and on to others. He did not call it ear training, but we listened to songs and began to play along as soon we heard the style and strum pattern. Mitch made sure everyone got it, telling us how to listen and giving progressive clues as necessary to individuals, and then we all played the song again. Mitch's techniques allowed all to participate from rank beginners (such as myself) to players who have made CDs. I am inspired."

NOTE: space is limited - anyone who signs up by May 18 can do so at a special rate of $35!! http://www.elderly.com/events/2013/event_page?eid=993

Me and my girlfriend might be interested, do we call Elderly to reserve a spot Mitch?

Great workshop Mitch! Made me realize the importance of the basics. Thank you and please contribute to our road kill :)

I didn't realize you had this thread open.

Thanks to Mitch as well. As a longtime bassist turned uke player, I have a lot of techniques that translate into bad habits on the uke. It was great to have Mitch break rhythm down to help me break some of my bad habits and approach the uke from a different angle. I enjoyed it greatly!

Thank you so much for coming out, guys, glad to hear you enjoyed it! Looking forward to the next one, please let me know of any particular topics you'd be interested in for a future workshop - keep in touch, hit me up on Facebook if you're on

How about a course on finger picking? Maybe even that flamenco style playing that you demonstrated at the class.

OK it's been scheduled! Next strumming workshops: Thursday, July 18, 2013 
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm 
Elderly Instruments, Lansing MI
 1/2 off previous attendees!

This workshop expands on the previous class on strumming techniques and figuring out rhythms by ear - plus, learn some real Hawaiian strums and rhythms from someone who's actually from the islands! And bossa nova patterns, too. If time allows, we'll even cover flamenco rumba grooves. This time learn it right, from someone who's actually studied the real deal!

NOTE: The previous strumming class is NOT a prerequisite for this one - but anyone who attended the May 25 workshop may sign up for this one at a special price of $20! http://www.elderly.com/events/2013/event_page?eid=1001

Hope to see you guys again, it'll be fun!

Hey Mitch! How has Michigan been treating you? I'll be at the workshop for sure. Honestly I don't really mind what topic you teach as long as we all have fun. See you next month!

Oh Mitch, I can't make that one this time. I'm starting a month long theatre gig in Kalamazoo, so will be booked Thurs-Sun for about five weeks starting on the 17th! Maybe I can catch it next time, or did I remember hearing something about possibly giving private lessons at Elderly?

Top Bottom