Strings - Best for Lanikai Sop Pineapple - Not Aquila

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Reaction score
I need recommendations for strings for my Lanikai LU-21P soprano pineapple. I have fresh Aquilas on it and it sounds like a toy piano. I really hate it. I've had D'Addario T2 Titanium on it and they were OK. I want something that will actually make it sound like a ukulele. Tone is more important than volume.

This is my travel/beater uke. But if I don't find better tone from it it will be my nowhere uke. HELP

i can't offhand tell if the titaniums are fluorocarbons or not (edit:they are monofilament) but a set of martin m600s might be another quick locally available option. I still have the original aquilas on mine and I agree they aren't right for this ukulele. I'd like to hear about other options tried. The intonation on mine is great.

Last edited:
Southcoasts are my go-to choice, but some Worth browns might bring out that mellow lower end in the pineapple.

Let us know how it works out.

I'd like to know this, as well. My LU-21P is my first uke, but I am not totally satisfied with the way it sounds. It didn't occur to me that it could be the strings.

The D'Addario T2 strings are nylon, not fluorocarbon. I did like them, but I want a little more variety. My impression was that they were lower tension than Aquilas, quieter too. Southcoasts are a little fancy schmancy for this uke. Keep those ideas coming.

I had to do some fussing with the bridge to lower the action and improve the intonation on this one; a semi-sort-of-setup. Improved the intonation. The fresh strings I had on hand were Aquilas. They almost sound brassy.

Just put Martin M600 strings on my Lanikai Pineapple. It finally doesn't sound like it's strung with rubber bands, or make space-alien noises like Aquilas.

I've had Martin M600s on my Kala Pineapple as well as Worth Browns. I can tell you I definitely like the "woody" sound of the Worth Browns a lot more than the Martins, although the Martins were pretty great. Try them in a couple of months and let us know what you think.

Just put Martin M600 strings on my Lanikai Pineapple. It finally doesn't sound like it's strung with rubber bands, or make space-alien noises like Aquilas.

I'd go with the Martin M600 as well. Plus they are extremely cheap!

This uke definitely needs higher tension strings to sound musical. Waiting for the Martin strings to settle. Got the Martins at a Local Music Store. They were priced $13.29, SALE! $4.99. What is the real price point for these strings? It's too cheap a ukulele to warrant "sheeshee deluxe" strings.

This uke definitely needs higher tension strings to sound musical. Waiting for the Martin strings to settle. Got the Martins at a Local Music Store. They were priced $13.29, SALE! $4.99. What is the real price point for these strings? It's too cheap a ukulele to warrant "sheeshee deluxe" strings.

I used to buy 5 for 3.85 on Elderly Instruments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom