Repeat Performance

For those who don't have the ability to view videos...here's a quick screen capture:

Kentimms_zps397f4320.png

I say! "what an incredibly good looking Bloke":rolleyes:

Want!!!:iwant:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Amazing how even junk wood can look nice in ukulele form. Can't wait to hear how it sounds

This is absolutely brilliant. Great to see it all come together!

Mr. Timms. You owe me a new keyboard, as mine has stopped working because of all the drool collected in it!

Nothing done on this project today due to a 15 mile bike ride this morning :)...and three other ukes being french polished by Mrs Timbuck are completed and require me putting them together and setting up...This retirement game is hard work :(

Nothing done on this project today due to a 15 mile bike ride this morning :)...and three other ukes being french polished by Mrs Timbuck are completed and require me putting them together and setting up...This retirement game is hard work :(

Take your time! Do it right.
I want my new ukulele to be perfect!

Now a pallet wood neck

I picked out some more nice pallet wood and resawed it into 5 slices....just in case it decides to warp at a later date... I decided to make it laminated.
PICT0011-12_zpsbc3cdd34 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Sanded the slices down to exact sizes.
PICT0016-9_zps4d8d03ad by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Clamped the slices together and marked out the top profile and C/F rod positions.
PICT0018-8_zpsf5331535 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Then I notched slices 2 & 4 to take the C/F rods co's it saves having to do it on the Milling machine or router table.
PICT0020-9_zpsf2e84ddc by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Now I fitted the parts back together for a dry run / trial fit.
PICT0023-5_zps8016cabb by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Then I got out the controversial "Titebond" and glued all the bits together..and it wasnt easy cos they were sliding about all over the place..next time i'll use pins or dowels...(If there is ever a next time?)
PICT0025-3_zps874bb583 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

As you all know I'm a bit of an Ornithologist co's i like birds :D...and lately I've been trying to breed some Parrot Vises so far I've got 3 and they are just super for clamping up jobs this like this...the vice in the centre is the only one fixed to the bench so I get perfect alignment.
PICT0034-2_zps615928d4 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised you have 3 identical vises Ken? This has been a fun thread. Hopefully it will inspire beginners to not buy master grade wood for their first uke build.

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised you have 3 identical vises Ken? This has been a fun thread. Hopefully it will inspire beginners to not buy master grade wood for their first uke build.
This is something I don't understand with some new builders....they seem to go for the most exotic woods and spend a fortune on something that looks great photographed at the right angles in the best lighting conditions..but when you get it in your hands you start to see the mistakes that happen and it dont play any better than a £50 uke from China...I have built close to 300 now and I am not totally satisfied with any of them :(
My first Uke (which I still have) was made from my old "Maranti" Kitchen door...It's been almost six years now since I started, and I still know very little about lutherie.

Instead of "cigar box" builds it would be nice to see more pallet type builds :D.....In the corner of my shed stands a spare 2M X 100mm sq fencing post and I recon that could make a couple of sopranos out of that ..Maybe:rolleyes:

Apologies for any rambling co's Mrs Timbuck and I just consumed half a bottle of Southern Comfort.:cheers:

Last edited:
I cannot understand it either Ken. With 600 under my belt I still haven't a clue as to why they sound as they do. I susoect it might be to do with something I do to the fronts but I ain't letting on just in case it isn't :)

Top Bottom