Guitar string for Low G on tenor uke

billcarr

Reaction score
Which nylon classic guitar string can I use on a tenor uke for the low G? I have googled this but can't really find a simple answer.

Hope someone can chime in with "strings for dummies" type answer. I have a selection of strings but would like some advice first.

Bill

I think you can just use the 4th string..d string from a classical guitar set..i did it with the wound D string off a savarez classical set..this was recomended by Rick Turner many years ago..

to make it easy just use the top 4 strings for your uke set..the LowG is the D string in a Savarez set

Last edited:
I like the D'Addario wound D.
I have recently changed to LaBella polished flat wound D.
Feels like an unwound, but has the sound of a wound.

Well just my luck :) I have every string but the D. I can get one at the music shop in town. Just for fun I put the nylon G string on. It very boomey sounding but not sloppy and tunes quite well.

Bill

Ok.. My local music shop only had a Savarez high tension wound D string. I bought it and it has been on my uke for about an hour. The jury is out before deciding if its ok. It has the longest sustain I ever heard. Sounds a bit dominant against the Aquila Nylguts. A lot of bass coming from my uke now. Intonation is very good.

Bill

I thought you were matching it up with Savarez strings..

Fremont has a new Soloist Flat wound LowG that I really like,you buy it as an ind. string,and flat wound so no squeak at all..and it very balanced..this is my go to LowG

Last edited:
I thought you were matching it up with Savarez strings..

Fremont has a new Soloist Flat wound LowG that I really like,you buy it as an ind. string,and flat wound so no squeak at all..and it very balanced..this is my go to LowG
Eh, wea you wen get da flat wound Low g from?

Eh, wea you wen get da flat wound Low g from?

I got um from Elderly..good stuff
Hey Kanaka not 100% sure these strings are flatwound..but they are polished so no squeak,,nice LowG string

Last edited:
I really like the Fremont Soloist low G as well. I really don't like wound the low g sound and a lot of the I sounds seem a little floppy, so the Fremont seems just right. Gryphon in Palo Alto had them in last time I was there and I've seen them pop up now and again on EBay as well.

Well I am blown away by this combination. Savarez "Red Card" high tension D with Living Water C, E, A. The low G is anything but floppy and holds its tuning really well. It blends nicely with the other strings (At least when hearing it from the playing position). I will make a short vid of it and post it here some time this weekend.

Bill

Top Bottom