Godin Multiuke got here.

I recently bought a Multiuke from the Market Place here for a great price, $400. I was surprised at how loud it is unplugged, it is chambered. It is one of the most comfortable ukes I've ever played. Mine is sunburst and I do think it's flame maple.

Godin Multiuke sumbust mine 843.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
I have tried this on three in a row with a .032 D'addario silver wrap which is a common tenor wound option and it's dead on. My new favorite low G, the Freemont polished wound is not as perfect. Needs more tension.

Another consideration- The Multiuke always seem to come with the rod too tight, and after correcting that they need lowering of the nut slots. This reduces the clothesline effect that has a lot to do with intonation problems on the uke.

Andrew,

I know I'm replying to an old post, but do you have a catalog number for ".032" D'Addario silver wrap" strings? I'm having trouble located them.

- FiL

Andrew,

I know I'm replying to an old post, but do you have a catalog number for ".032" D'Addario silver wrap" strings? I'm having trouble located them.

- FiL

Hi FiL,

Of course I'm no Andrew, but maybe I can shed some light here.

Likely Andrew was referring to a classical guitar string, which many uke strings are the exact same materials, just cut shorter and labeled differently.

As such, I've not seen any D'Addario 0.032" string, but they do have a 0.031" and a 0.033" single string, as per the examples of these:

D'Addario NYL031W Classical Guitar .031, single string
https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddario-nyl031w-classical-guitar-031-single-string-214.html

D'Addario NYL033W Classical Guitar .033, single string
https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddario-nyl033w-classical-guitar-033-single-string-1462.html

More can be seen here:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_41_114_340&sortby=4

Possibly Andrew was off by 1 in his remembering?

When I measured several different specimens of the Fremont Soloist smoothwound low G, the diameters varied from 0.028" to 0.030", and if more tension was desired, with the classical guitar strings referenced above, each one may offer an additional 2-3 lbs of string tension as you progress up in gauge to a thicker string.

For myself with a low-G on a tenor, I really like the Thomastik-Infeld CF30, which in itself has about 11 lbs of string tension, has less string noise than the Fremont, and intonates well on every uke or guitar where I've used these Thomastik chrome flatwound strings.

You can see them here:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/thoma...tring-d-030-chrome-steel-flat-wound-2481.html

and other gauges of Thomastik singles here from the same series:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_63_88_166&sortby=4

Hope this helps! :)

Andrew,

- FiL

Hey FiL,

Hmm, we’ve been buying a .032 from D’addario for Ko’olau strings tenor low G for the last 10 years. I don’t know why I’ve never listed it seperatly. I guess I figured it was easy to get. I'ma list it soon.

I’ll have to try the TI flat wound Booli refers to on one of our Godin too. I really like that string too though I fear it won’t be the best option here. Not sure. That Oasis Warm smooth wound low G is .033. Smooth feel but with a higher tension than the Fremont and TI around .030. I bet that would be another good option. I’ll experiment a little tonight with those options.

Thanks for the reply, Andrew. Looking forward to your experiment results!

- FiL

These things are awesome. I don't own one, but have played in stores many times. I keep threatening to buy one for live performance. But, not yet.

I recently bought a Multiuke from the Market Place here for a great price, $400. I was surprised at how loud it is unplugged, it is chambered. It is one of the most comfortable ukes I've ever played. Mine is sunburst and I do think it's flame maple.

Godin Multiuke sumbust mine 843.jpg

That thing is badass.

I have nothing meaningful to add but since I'm playing my Godin as I read this I'll contribute some eye candy. I love this thing...

IMG_1646.jpg

Thanks! It's very out of character for me. I'm usually an ultra-discreet type but it really caught my eye.

Thanks! It's very out of character for me. I'm usually an ultra-discreet type but it really caught my eye.

Yeah brother, that blue flame texture sure is wild. I love that look too, I'd be tempted but likely would have grabbed a sunburst model like Mike did if the blue and sunburst were side-by-side...

Just be careful not to get led down the path where you end up wearing the zebra-print spandex unitard and KISS makeup LOL :)

I'm not sure if UU can handle that just yet...

<snip>
Just be careful not to get led down the path where you end up wearing the zebra-print spandex unitard and KISS makeup LOL :)

I'm not sure if UU can handle that just yet...

Oh Booli, that's an image I can't unsee! :D

I bought one of these a few years ago. I have almost no complaints. The instrument is well built and a real eye-catcher. It is pretty much my go-to when I get out to play with friends. I actually prefer it to the Kamaka I bought at about the same time. The Kamaka is better for some tunes, but the Multiuke is just so smooth and easy to play. I guess my only disappointment is it does not respond well to a fifth fret harmonic. Not that I play that harmonic often, but even my pawn shop Lanakai rings it better.

Overall, I would say it was a good purchase and a quality instrument.

I ordered one of these a few months ago with the intention going with a low G. The Multiuke finally arrived this week. I went with the original cedar top model. As many here have previously mentioned - the build and quality is impeccable.

I'm not sure if this was previously covered, but the output jack has been moved and incorporated into the back strap button. A much better placement in my opinion.

After playing for a few days with the high G, I finally decided to install a Freemont Soloist squeekless polished low G.

Wow - was I ever disappointed. It just doesn't sound right. I have a few tenor and concert acoustics stringed with low G stings and genuinely love the sound. But I don't believe the low G improves the Multiuke. The uke has a mile and a half of sustain and I just find the endless drone annoying and unappealing.

I wasn't long replacing the original high G. The uke has a great voice unplugged and booms clean with an amp.

I'm currently still making use of the strings that came with the uke - D'Addario EJ87T. I believe Godin has branded them as Multiuke HD Strings with the same EJ87T model #.

The issue I'm having with the strings is that they go sharp soon after I start playing. It appears that the warmth from my hands is causing the D'Addario's to go sharp. To prove my observations, I just rubbed the strings quickly with the palm of my hand and the change was immediate with a tuner attached.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Titanium strings?

I'm thinking about going with Martin fluorocarbons. Thoughts?

Last edited:
As far as the low g string, I'm using a Thomastik-Infeld CF-30 Flat Wound Low G Ukulele String (based on others' recommendations), and it's the best one I've tried, including the Fremont (which I usually like).

I don't notice any significant low drone with the T-I string, and EQ-ing out some bass can make it even better.

I bought the Multiuke with the "Natural" solid cedar top as well. $170 for a laminate koa top just didn't make sense to me. No mater how nice the koa looks.

I believe I read that the pickups are designed to use nylon or synthetic strings. That metal can throw them off. Mine arrived with unwound, GHS Low-G strings from HMS TheUkuleleSite.

I wonder why your strings would go sharp? If they are reacting to the heat from your hands or from friction they should expand and go flat. Or is there something I am unaware of? Do D'Adarrio titanium strings shrink with heat?

I'm not sure whether "warmth from hands" is a significant factor in strings going sharp.
Usually sharpness is more to do with the strings themselves stretching or the neck of the ukulele flexing due to temperature and humidity, as well as string tension.

Do you mean "sharp" as in the string itself gets tuned to a higher pitch (so you need to adjust using the tuners), or that the fretted notes themselves become sharp?

PS - Ex-Godin uke owner here. Terrific ukulele, though I found the unique saddle/bridge a bit limiting for personal setup options.
I like a traditional saddle that I can sand and shape to my liking, but no such options on the Godin.

That's weird about getting sharp when warm. When most things get warm they expand and this should make strings looser and hence lower in pitch (flat.)

-- Gary

Ukeify.......I had the same endless droning with Fremont Soloist wound low G, my favorite string for acoustic ukes. As Dave Y above stated the wound Thomastik CF30 pretty much tames that, I also have the CF27 on the 3rd, I like two wounds, more balanced to my ears. The lead player at our uke jam uses a koa Multiuke all the time and it always sounds great. Last jam I was talking to him and noticed the strings...Worth BT (brown tenor) low G. This is a a florocarbon low G, when I saw this the light bulb came on. Matt said these are the best strings he has used on this instrument. The non-metallic low G should solve the crazy sustain problem. Just some food for thought.

Top Bottom