Godin Multiuke got here.

ahhhh We have a Koa one coming to HMS soon........??

...but I think the Multiuke will have the better pick-up.
I tend to agree with that. Godin has a ton of experience with pickups and eq's - in my opinion they were the first to get really natural tone out of a nylon-string electric guitar. I also like very much the idea that the pickups are in individual saddles so the bridge is compensated for good intonation. The only thing that would be even better was if they were actually adjustable.

This has definitely jumped to the top of my short list for my next uke!

John

I tend to agree with that. Godin has a ton of experience with pickups and eq's - in my opinion they were the first to get really natural tone out of a nylon-string electric guitar. I also like very much the idea that the pickups are in individual saddles so the bridge is compensated for good intonation. The only thing that would be even better was if they were actually adjustable.

This has definitely jumped to the top of my short list for my next uke!

John

True, but LR Baggs used on KoOlau CE are amazing and extremely popular pickups for all stringed instruments.
http://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/ukulele

From HMS website for CE-2: When plugged in, the chambored bodies resonance translates into the best amplified ukulele sound that money can buy. This pickup was the collaboration of Ko’olau and Lloyd Baggs of L.R.Baggs company and is unique to the CE model. Tone is accurate and even, with body and clarity. The 2 model like this one has a tone and a volume knob right there for you to adjust without reaching for an amp or D.I. Above all, this model will give you lush tenor tone that you can shape to your liking, perfect for live and studio situations.

My guess, side by side, one is going to have a real hard time telling the difference btw Baggs and Godin. The Godin equilizer is a plus, the Godin RAC individual string pickups (as opposed to undersaddle, easily serviceable pickup that allows for saddle adjustment, replacement, etc) is a minus. I was considering the Godin uke, but the fixed saddle and RAC pickup dissuaded me, esp. after reading the occasional issues with this pickup in guitars on Forums like UU (easily searchable) This, like everything else on UU, is only one person's opinion (me).:rolleyes: I could be dead wrong.

When KoOlau price comes down to Pono mid-level electric ukes, it'll be interesting to see what comes of it (and if they'll still use the LR Baggs pickup). I sure adore my Koolau CE1 and wouldn't trade it for all the tea in Greenland.

MGM, that uke is amazing--whozit by?

Last edited:
The Godin is a well made and great sounding electric uke....The new Koolau solid electrics are going to be great. But me...lol...this is the bling I need

View attachment 52625View attachment 52626

This ukulele was built by Kerry Char and was designed by my dear friend (and awesome artist), Brian Wolf. The one in these photos is the second one made because Brian's has the continued motif of the typewriter keys (note the Tone and Volume controls) as tuner buttons that are, of course, G, C, E and A...a clever detail.

It's also a fantastic sounding ukulele. Brian put harp strings on his.

Sorry for the derail and back to the OP. I'm also a fan of Godin's instruments, having owned a 2003 LG which I recently sold for not much less than what I paid for it.
I've given my 1973 Ibanez Concord 699 on consignment to my local music store and told them that if it sells, to order a Godin uke for me.

Thanks for posting the sound sample and congratulations.

Last edited:

Here's a simple demo of the Godin with no processing. The signal came straight from the RMC electronics into an Apogee Jam plugged into an iPad Mini. It's a little too bright for my ears, but I didn't want anyone to accuse the Multiuke of sounding muddy. When run through a Chorus pedal, the treble sounds absolutely angelic. (Next demo.)

A big difference between the Godin and other Ukes is the RMC pickups/preamp. It's a little like miking 4 people in a chorus with 4 mics as opposed to one. Because each string in the Multiuke gets its own pickup that's mixed into the preamp, there's a better clarity. The EQ also makes a big difference in sound. You can crank the midrange to get more of a magnetic pickup sound, which means the Multiuke will fare very well through standard amps and guitar effects. That's always been troublesome for performing.

It's not that the Godin leaves the sound of current ukes in the dust. I've put a lot of MiSis and BBands into my ukes and they're great. This just gives a cleaner voice to the uke while minimizing irritants like body noise and feedback.

Nice, Kevin, I like it. Thanks for the clip. Always nice to see how things sound before they've been gussied up with war paint. :)

I've put a lot of MiSis and BBands into my ukes and they're great. This just gives a cleaner voice to the uke while minimizing irritants like body noise and feedback.

I like my MiSis but the one beef I have with them is you simply have to have a lot of outboard EQ to get rid of the very noticeable piezo thud. I find if I run it through a ten band equalizer with the 125hz control set at unity, everything above that pushed to max (12db boost), and everything below it pushed to minimum (12db cut) I get pretty natural sound of the uke and cut out most of that thud. This surprised me as I expected the 125hz being down 12db from the other freqs to be an issue as the open C string is at around 130hz. I'd really like to have a good notch that I could pull that one frequency down by 30 db, though, but I don't see myself dragging around a rack unit. LOL

I need to record the uke raw, look at a waterfall and figure out exactly where that thud is, and then pull out SPICE and design myself a good portable notch filter, I guess.

John

John: Thanks. I figured it's not a fair assessment if I flavor it. I see that a ton of Godin Multiac Nylon users are plugging directly into the board for recording and performing, so they must be getting a decent sound without too much tampering.

Curious thing about the MiSis. I seem to recall having thud issues on a few ukes before I leveled the saddle properly. Or maybe I just dreamed I fixed it and hypnotized myself to live with it.

If your referring to our recording then the the "war paint" I guess would be the LR Baggs amp it's going into. I ran into an apogee but with the gain on zero because that gain is very compressed. It's simply an interface for my purpose. The second channel mic picks up the acoustic nuances that aren't carried through the signal but that you will hear in real life. My sample had no post processing, eq, effects, or compression besides what happens at upload.

With an electric instrument the pickup is one part of the equation. Either way you look at it the sound will be affected by the quality of what you run it through.

As far as the Misi thud, they now use the new LR Baggs 5.0 piezo strip (as opposed to the old baggs element) and it's improved immensely.

Those RCA individual pickups can be a pain

Oh, I wasn't being critical - vids that show what can be achieved with great equipment are as valuable as raw ones, just for different reasons. I wouldn't expect you guys to make a vid that didn't have top-notch sound.

Actually...for that matter...for us mere mortals just the fact that it was Chris playing it probably qualifies as "war paint." LOL

I've been thinking about swapping out the MiSi in my mango tenor for a 5.0. I can get nice sound out of the MiSi but live it leaves me really at the mercy of the sound guy unless I drag along my own eq pedal and find a place to power it up.

John

If your referring to our recording then the the "war paint" I guess would be the LR Baggs amp it's going into. I ran into an apogee but with the gain on zero because that gain is very compressed. It's simply an interface for my purpose. The second channel mic picks up the acoustic nuances that aren't carried through the signal but that you will hear in real life. My sample had no post processing, eq, effects, or compression besides what happens at upload.

With an electric instrument the pickup is one part of the equation. Either way you look at it the sound will be affected by the quality of what you run it through.

As far as the Misi thud, they now use the new LR Baggs 5.0 piezo strip (as opposed to the old baggs element) and it's improved immensely.

The position of the g string saddle/pickup makes it look like you'd be stuck with high g. Nice sound, though... but adjustable neck makes me think it might take steel strings.

Tejastani: The G string bridge sits a touch higher than the C. Looks to me it was created with a low G in mind.

Tejastani: The G string bridge sits a touch higher than the C. Looks to me it was created with a low G in mind.

Low G needs the string contact at bridge set long. High G needs the string contact at the bridge set short. That's the theory anyway. The height has some impact but not as much as length. I've looked at the instrument myself and came to the same conclusion. You would have to stay with reentrant tuning and it wouldn't take well to linear tuning.

Anthony

Top Bottom