Hugh Laurie sings the Blues

LimousinLil

Reaction score
Have just seen an excellent programme on British TV, following Hugh Laurie's trip across the States in homage to the Blues and Professor Longhair, culminating in a performance on the Queen Mary where Professor Longhair was recorded performing in the 1970s. En route across the country, he visited a very famous music store in Chicago - the name of which escapes me - and ... yes ... he bought a ukulele! If you get a chance to catch this programme - in a series called "Perspective" and titled "Copper Bottom Blues", it is well worth watching.

Oh missed that. What channel, when?
He has great blues album out also, plays the piano rather well!

Oh, found it on ITV player, avilable for another 28 days or so.

h

And watched it!
Chicago Music Exchange.
Didn't really see him play the uke.
Well worth a watch.

Last edited:
I found it on the youtube but wasn't super quality but it was ok.
Hugh Laurie is a pretty funny guy.

Was the music store Lyon and Healy?

Lyon Healy did build harps (maybe still do) in Chicago, and put their name on other instruments for decades. But around here, they're most famous for their giant music store downtown, gone now lo these many years.

Have just seen an excellent programme on British TV, following Hugh Laurie's trip across the States in homage to the Blues and Professor Longhair, culminating in a performance on the Queen Mary where Professor Longhair was recorded performing in the 1970s. En route across the country, he visited a very famous music store in Chicago - the name of which escapes me - and ... yes ... he bought a ukulele! If you get a chance to catch this programme - in a series called "Perspective" and titled "Copper Bottom Blues", it is well worth watching.

hey Lil

this was screened on the ABC in Australia a couple of months ago too. Yes, I agree, it was fantastic, as much for the historiography as the performances of the old jazz and blues classics.

I haven't watched Wooster and Jeeves, but I liked Hugh Laurie in House, M.D.

I own a Lyon & Healy c. 1925 uke, found on eBay. It’s a nice piece of wall art, not really playable. The action is unfixable. Sad, really. It would have been a fun novelty instrument.

Oh missed that. What channel, when?
He has great blues album out also, plays the piano rather well!

Oh, found it on ITV player, avilable for another 28 days or so.

h

And watched it!
Chicago Music Exchange.
Didn't really see him play the uke.
Well worth a watch.

He played piano in the series Wooster and Jeeves. Great Comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_R8QBeYvs

Last edited:
I haven't watched Wooster and Jeeves, but I liked Hugh Laurie in House, M.D.
Oh, I love this series. And after watching it I started listening to Hugh Laurie and watching other films/tv shows with him. Btw, I enjoyed A Bit of Fry and Laurie. Great show.

I'm kinda weirdly fond of the song St. James Infirmary. I feel like it sounds good on any instrument and in a range of moods and styles (admittedly mostly jazz/jazz-adjacent). I have a YouTube playlist with 29 versions, but Hugh Laurie on piano is one of the best.

Top Bottom