Ukulele Fingering: Soprano vs. Concert

lutya2

Reaction score
Right now, I have a crappy soprano ukulele and I am thinking about buying a Bushman Concert Jenny. Would the fingering for the concert ukulele be any different from the soprano ukulele fingering? :)

Chord shape fingering using the same tuning..... YES

Space between frets for your fingers..... NO

Yeah like everyone said the chord shapes and notes will be the same but you will have some extra room on the fretboard because the scale is longer. Some chords may be tough to play if there is a long reach involved. But the soprano is the same as a concert only bigger.

Just out of curiosity, lutya2, do you have any experience with other fretted instruments, such as guitar or mandolin? I started out with a concert ukulele because I also play guitar. The frets on a soprano were too close together for my personal comfort, but I still found that I had a pretty good span on the concert (about 7 frets) without feeling cramped. And this is considering that I have crooked pinkies, so my reach is shortened by about a cm.

follow up question...

Yeah like everyone said the chord shapes and notes will be the same but you will have some extra room on the fretboard because the scale is longer. Some chords may be tough to play if there is a long reach involved. But the soprano is the same as a concert only bigger.

I understand that the fret board of a concert is larger than a soprano. But I don't understand why this makes a concert necessarily easier to play. Often when I play a chord on my soprano I have trouble with one finger inadverdantly muting another string it should't. I would thing that is the strings were farther apart on a concert this problem would be even more challenging.

Or is the difference between the concert and soprano ONLY in the space between the frets and not in the space between the strings?

I understand that the fret board of a concert is larger than a soprano. But I don't understand why this makes a concert necessarily easier to play. Often when I play a chord on my soprano I have trouble with one finger inadverdantly muting another string it should't. I would thing that is the strings were farther apart on a concert this problem would be even more challenging.

Or is the difference between the concert and soprano ONLY in the space between the frets and not in the space between the strings?

its just the difference between the frets i think. also the concert size body is larger of course.

The distance between the Nut and Saddle (scale length) on modern Sopranos is about 13.5" Most Concerts are about 15" I say, about, because some lengths vary between models and brands.

The width between the G and A also vaires at the nut by 1/8 inch or so and . at the 12th fret by 3/16 inch or so. I see more varience between brands here rather than between Soprano's and Concerts. For example I have a soprano that is wider than a concert on both ends. If you get a chance you ought to try a concert out before you buy it. You might not like it.

Top Bottom