Radiused Fretboard

four of my sevens ukes have a radius on the fretboard..it is personal choice.... my next three custom ukes have a radius on them..if I could go back all of my ukes would have a radius on the fretboard..

the three that have a flat fretboard..are production/semi custom ukes so I had no choice and no say about it..

just my 2 cents

four of my sevens ukes have a radius on the fretboard..it is personal choice.... my next three custom ukes have a radius on them..if I could go back all of my ukes would have a radius on the fretboard..

the three that have a flat fretboard..are production/semi custom ukes so I had no choice and no say about it..

just my 2 cents

What's interesting is that out of all the ukes that Chuck has built up to mine, he said only one person has asked for radius... maybe he's built a couple more after that. All Mya Moes have radius and people love them. I guess luthiers have a preference too.

What's interesting is that out of all the ukes that Chuck has built up to mine, he said only one person has asked for radius... maybe he's built a couple more after that. All Mya Moes have radius and people love them. I guess luthiers have a preference too.

Chuck and Rick Turner told me it was a personal thing that each person should decide on their own that does not mean I should not use one..no one can tell you what to do..

Chuck's words"Jake and Himself(Chuck) don't use a radius on their fretboard..it is a personal choice..

that is all I am saying?

I've never tried a radius fretboard, but I've always wanted to. Maybe some day.

Chuck and Rick Turner told me it was a personal thing that each person should decide on their own that does not mean I should not use one..no one can tell you what to do..

Chuck's words"Jake and Himself(Chuck) don't use a radius on their fretboard..it is a personal choice..

that is all I am saying?

Exactly...it's great to have a choice

I'm with RichM and Soup and Daryl.

I have a radiused fretboard on my Mya Moe, which is a uke I love; I can't even fell the difference between it and other tenors I have with flat boards. I never think of it... It feels the same.

That said, I think radiused might be better, and more noticeable, on a baritone ukulele.

Last edited:

If I did say that, then I mis spoke. I should have said that about one in ten people ask me for a radiused fret board. Mostly weak players, old guys and former guitar players. Sorry for my frankness but that's what I'm seeing. Forum folks have asked me for them lately because it's the latest bandwagon to jump on. In my own personal opinion, if your action is set correctly and and you have at least average skills, you shouldn't need a radiused fret board. I've seen some ukes that have had 10" and 12" fb radiuses which seems a bit extreme on a fingerboard that averages 1 5/8" wide with nylon strings. Really?

If I did say that, then I mis spoke. I should have said that about one in ten people ask me for a radiused fret board. Mostly weak players, old guys and former guitar players. Sorry for my frankness but that's what I'm seeing. Forum folks have asked me for them lately because it's the latest bandwagon to jump on. In my own personal opinion, if your action is set correctly and and you have at least average skills, you shouldn't need a radiused fret board. I've seen some ukes that have had 10" and 12" fb radiuses which seems a bit extreme on a fingerboard that averages 1 5/8" wide with nylon strings. Really?

Sorry, probably me misquoting again!!

You do know that most of UU consists of weak players, old guys, former guitar players with ukes that are not set up correctly and have less than average skills...I knew I should have gotten radius!! :p

Sorry, probably me misquoting again!!

You do know that most of UU consists of weak players, old guys, former guitar players with ukes that are not set up correctly and have less than average skills...I knew I should have gotten radius!! :p

Put me in the old guy category..my fingers so stiff from delivering the mail for ever..haha
I hope my hands last another 20 years or I got to give my ukes away before I want too..

Mostly weak players, old guys and former guitar players.

Touché, Chuck. I am guilty of the sin of guitar-centricity. I can play the hell out of a flat fretboard - I just prefer a slight radius. There are far worse vices that I could have. (Actually, I probably have all of those vices, as well.)

Interesting. This brings a thought to me. If I want my custom uke to be with me my entire life, then I should design it such that it accomodates the starting stage (beginner/weak player), to the middle stage (non-elderly experienced player), and all the way to the ending stage (elderly player/old guy). Meaning it would be wise to include the radiused fretboard as a requirement everytime we commission a custom uke.

Along with trying to build the best instrument I can for a customer, one that is tailored to their needs, a primary goal of mine is to save them as much money as I can on options they may not need. Contrary to what some may believe, I spend a lot of time talking people out of things like installing pickups "just in case they need one someday",
or extravagent inlays when simple ones will be just as effective, or installing arm bevels or cutaways when none are warranted. Or even radiused fret boards because they are a popular topic right now. Some people have legitimate reasons for needing some or all of these things. But as a builder I am also an advisor. In the end however, it's your money and you are free to do with it as you wish.

But as a builder I am also an advisor.

Consigliere,

I absolutely agree with you, on that one. But, I’m not sure if I would put the preference for (or against) a radiused fretboard in the same category as inlays. The fretboard is the interface between the player and the instrument, and its form should trump just about every other decision.

Granted, there are probably a number of players who may base their preference for one or the other on (mis)perceptions and the opinions of others – rather than on their personal experience. But, there are plenty of players who know what they want from their playing experience.

For me, personally, I can do without the inlays, bevels, and (probably) the pickup… but I would want my interface to match my playing style – i.e. high tension strings, low action and (slight) radius on the fretboard.

When your build schedule opens up in 2021, that’s what I will ask you for. I will put the rest in your capable hands. (That being said… that art deco ukulele that you did a couple years back was insanely stunning – so that throws my statement about inlays to the wind.)

Some people ask me how to save money on an uke that I'm building for them. There's a whole list of things that can bring the price more within their budgets. The first and mist obvious is in the "bling". That is not always an easy choice for them but I can often find ways to accomplish the same result and do it less expensively. Then there are all of the other things that I mentioned, cutaways, side sound ports, etc. My attempt is not to steer people in on direction or other, I'm simply warning people against the current hype. Believe it or not, some people believe evrything they read on this forum.
My perceived truth is that raduised fret boards are not necessary or even desired by many players whom I am in contact with. Several months ago I had a dozen people from the forum ask my for ukes with arm rest bevels, because at the time there was a lot of discussion on Uke Talk about them. (Since then I've heard nothing.) I've stated that many people may find radiused fret boards helpful for their level and style of playing. With tongue firmly planted in cheek I've even identified these people. Again, the vast majority of people I deal with (and most are not members of this forum) specifically tell me that their preference is for flat boards. I have no problem doing them and I offer them as an option. When potential customers ask me about them I give my personal honest opinion and suggest them to try them out on other ukes before committing themselves. For me, I see no clear advantage, perhaps they will.
Funny, as I write this I am radiusing two fret boards for the four ukes I am currently building. ;)

Last edited:
Believe it or not, some people believe evrything they read on this forum.

Oh, I absolutely believe it........... If I were a Nigerian prince looking for a discrete business partner to move my millions of dollars, I might be able to use that to my advantage.

Top Bottom