strung in low G, do you play songs tabbed in high G as they are?

darylcrisp

Reaction score
hope that makes sense. i prefer to "hear" the low G tuning, if i have a book tabbed for high G, do i simply play them as is and use my low G where the high G is indicated-or are there specific songs tabbed in low G?

thanks
d

There are plenty of tabs out there written for low G.

As for your question, it depends. Some tunes tabbed for high G sound fine with a low G, others don't. If the low G sounds awkward, you can usually play a high G on the third fret of the E string.

Strummed chords sound best if you're reading High G and playing Low G. It's really only the fingerstyle stuff that can trip you up if the fourth string is part of the melody.

thanks folks

fingerstyle is straight into what i want and where i'm headed.
i guess it makes sense to have two(or more) ukes, one in high g and one in low g.

thanks
d

It's really only the fingerstyle stuff that can trip you up if the fourth string is part of the melody.
Good point and I just assumed the OP meant fingerstyle because they said "tabbed." It is technically incorrect to refer to lyric/chord sheets as "tabs", although a lot of people do.

I do this sometimes. The problem only comes when playing a melody. If the fourth string is used in the tab, you have to substitute.

A very good question, I appreciate you asking along with the responses. If I could tag on, is there anywhere online where I can hear a sample of a high g vs low g tuning?

A very good question, I appreciate you asking along with the responses. If I could tag on, is there anywhere online where I can hear a sample of a high g vs low g tuning?

Top Bottom