St James Infirmary Blues

mattydee

Reaction score
Recorded for the 64th Season of the Ukulele. I just realized there's a lot of cross posting of Seasons vids going on over here. I guess I'll see what that's all about. ;)

Does anyone have a tab of the trumpet part for ukulele? Or any solo riffs for this song? I like playing it but want to spiff it up a bit. I can't do the mouth trumpet thing. :)

Thanks

Does anyone have a tab of the trumpet part for ukulele? Or any solo riffs for this song? I like playing it but want to spiff it up a bit. I can't do the mouth trumpet thing. :)

Thanks

The mouth trumpet was improvised, and my theory's not good enough to tab it out, sorry! I'm playing the tune in Em if that helps at all.

Superb vocals. Not sure about the overdubbed Uke though! But great video.

Not sure what you mean... There is no overdubbed uke. That's a Mainland baritone. A little reverb, but that's it for sound editing. This was done in a single live take.

Does anyone have a tab of the trumpet part for ukulele? Or any solo riffs for this song? I like playing it but want to spiff it up a bit. I can't do the mouth trumpet thing. :)Thanks
You might try a kazoo for the trumpet solos.

Hey mattydee: That's really a scrumptious rendition. In your intro you ascribe this song to LA roots. Certainly the way you do it is a wonderful tribute to Satchmo, NOLA's favorite son. It got me wondering though. I know about the European and cowboy roots and renditions of the song but never heard of an LA tie-in. I associate St James Infirmary with Memphis, the Yellow Fever capitol of the Mississippi Valley. Dave Van Ronk always used to tie it into a St Louis location. What are the NOLA associations with this song?

You might try a kazoo for the trumpet solos.

Hey mattydee: That's really a scrumptious rendition. In your intro you ascribe this song to LA roots. Certainly the way you do it is a wonderful tribute to Satchmo, NOLA's favorite son. It got me wondering though. I know about the European and cowboy roots and renditions of the song but never heard of an LA tie-in. I associate St James Infirmary with Memphis, the Yellow Fever capitol of the Mississippi Valley. Dave Van Ronk always used to tie it into a St Louis location. What are the NOLA associations with this song?

Far as I know, the very first recording of this ballad with this melody was done by Satchmo. Can't get more NOLA than that. I'm sure there's someone out there who knows more about it than I, though.

Far as I know, the very first recording of this ballad with this melody was done by Satchmo. Can't get more NOLA than that. I'm sure there's someone out there who knows more about it than I, though.

Even Betty Boop had Cab Caloway sing it in one of her cartoons in 1933 around the 4 minute mark of Snow White.[video]https://archive.org/details/bb_snow_white[/video]

Just re watched it and please accept my apologies, seems it was my iPad lagging a bit. Hope You didn't take offence. Your a great performer, with a extraordinary voice.

Top Bottom