Jake Shimabukuro's Gear?

experimentjon

Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of gear that Jake uses?

I was watching Life on Four Strings, and noticed a few items.

Ukulele: Several custom Kamaka tenors (and a few others before the Kamakas too). Anyone have a catalog of them? He mentioned that one of them was named "Val." And I think the more current ones are Buffy? Any ideas?

Case: Calton Yellow
8229759759_7c1c60110f_z.jpg

Tuner: Peterson Stroboclip

Cable: Analysis Plus Purple I definitely saw a purple when they did a close up on it...not sure if that has changed.

Wireless System: You can see him playing with one of these. Not too many options out there, but perhaps a hardcore gear nerd knows.

Strings: Daddario J71s (they actually did a close up on these)

Geared Tuners: Ebony Gilberts

Pickup: He is a Fishman sponsored artist. Would have to assume he is playing the Matrix Infinity??

Strap: Heard this one is custom made...but looks like a modified one... wonder what strap he used as the base for it.

Pedals: I saw a few, including some sort of Line6, but am no expert in pedals...someone out there must be!
Amps/Monitors: I saw some sort of Marshall in there.

Watch: Tag Heuer Aquaracer Day Date (I am a watch-guy, so we notice these kinds of things.)
http://www.amazon.com/TAG-Heuer-WAF2010-BA0818-Aquaracer-Automatic/dp/B001CRLFUO
jomashop_2262_693070744

Knife: Shun 7" Classic Santoku (I'm also a knife guy...and at least that's what I think he was using.)
Shun-DM0718-Classic-7-Inch-Santoku-Hollow-Ground-Knife.jpg

Emory Board? He has mentioned this as an important part of his routine to get better tone/attack.

Necklace: ??? I've wondered this one for a good time now.
Ring: ???
Hats: Brixtons???
Wallet chain :
(From back in the day when he used to rock that)

Any to add? I'm sure there are some with a good eye out there!

Last edited:
Getting a bit creepy towards the end there. Boxers or briefs? :stop:

That 'knife' part really took me by surprise LOL

I too am very interested in his custom strap, anyone got any info on it? I know you can get straps like that but the small hooks look too damaging to me.

interesting list! In a moment of weakness (one of many) I ordered the Analysis Plus Yellow cable... priceyat $168 , but I'm really wondering about the difference between what the pros use and my $15 off the shelf cable. Guess I'll be able to hear my mistakes a lot clearer :eek: Should be here in a day or two. I'll probably beat myself up for spending that kind of money on a cable when the only audience I gig for is a puppy, a grumpy Corgi and a blind old mutt. Mom's always conveniently in another room!

I'm surprised that he talked about his knife...what is he using for?!!! I didn't know that he has such a nice watch too!!!!!

LOL; he didn't. He didn't talk about his watch either. He was just cutting steak with the knife and wearing the watch.

I kind of secretly hope he starts doing full sets with gear that normal people can afford, just to prove how little the gear matters if you're a player at that level.

I kind of secretly hope he starts doing full sets with gear that normal people can afford, just to prove how little the gear matters if you're a player at that level.

The last show I saw him, he actually unplugged and did a song totally acoustic, I think with him being sponsored that's as close as we will get haha.

And I liked the Daddario product placement :)

It looked like he was bending his wrists against a wall.

If that is what he does to keep his wrists limber, I'd like to know his regimen because my carpal tunnel problem is acting up again.:(

It looked like he was bending his wrists against a wall.

If that is what he does to keep his wrists limber, I'd like to know his regimen because my carpal tunnel problem is acting up again.:(

I think we saw the regimen in its entirety.

sorsrt autos

Fretboard has an interview where Jake talks about his ukuleles.

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/online/interview-ukulele-great-jake-shimabukuro

Here is a snippet of the interview:

FJ: What was your first instrument? Does your family still have it?

JS: Yes, we do. It was a Kamaka standard ukulele and we still have it. My mom had it when she was a teenager, so that was the instrument that I started out on. Kamaka ukuleles are still the brand that I play today. I love their instruments. They’re going on a 100 years. I think they’re going on like generations of ukulele makers now.

FJ: Have you dabbled with any other builders?

JS: Yeah, I have, but Kamakas are always my go-to. They’re the standard of ukuleles. To me, they’re just amazing, because that’s the sound that I grew up listening to as a kid.

FJ: Are you a collector of ukes?

JS: No, I'm not a collector. I have about four or five instruments at home…

FJ: Compared to many uke fanatics, that isn't many at all.

JS: Yeah. But I just have my main one that I tour with, play, practice on, record with. That’s my Kamaka four-string tenor.

I saw on Ukulele Thursdays that Jake is using the brand new Planet Waves NS Micro Tuner (even better than the Mini). I wasn't really interested until I got the promotional email in my spam box from Daddario and clicked through to see that it looked pretty awesome.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwNSMicrotuner.Page

I just picked up 2 of them since they are relatively inexpensive and are small enough to keep on your uke all the time. So it might just make my Peterson Stroboclip (also formerly used by Jake) obsolete. You can buy about 5 of these NS Minis for the price of a single Stroboclip...pretty sure I have buyer's remorse over that clunky Peterson now. Never did like those scrolling bars--not in band, and not now either. Haha.

I think that he used Levy M20 1" nylon classical guitar/ukulele strap with plastic sound-hole hook and tri-glide adjustments as the base of his custom strap.
Saw the logo branded on the strap at the end of this video ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QiMbgpcY70
Really looks like this one.
Levys_M20_M.jpg

Thanks for the list! I like the knife part :)

Not forgetting " product placement " !! Celebs get all kind of gadgets and trinkets thrown at them in an attempt to catch the eye of the beholder !!!

This is the one I usually wear when I play. Picked it up in Basel, Switzerland last year. 1169090_335891906549347_405342476_n.jpg

I saw on Ukulele Thursdays that Jake is using the brand new Planet Waves NS Micro Tuner (even better than the Mini). I wasn't really interested until I got the promotional email in my spam box from Daddario and clicked through to see that it looked pretty awesome.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwNSMicrotuner.Page

I just picked up 2 of them since they are relatively inexpensive and are small enough to keep on your uke all the time. So it might just make my Peterson Stroboclip (also formerly used by Jake) obsolete. You can buy about 5 of these NS Minis for the price of a single Stroboclip...pretty sure I have buyer's remorse over that clunky Peterson now. Never did like those scrolling bars--not in band, and not now either. Haha.

I just saw this post and wanted to note that I bought a few of these myself after being told that Craig Chee used them. I love the compact size!

Anyone know what kind of gear that Jake uses?

I was watching Life on Four Strings, and noticed a few items.

Ukulele: Several custom Kamaka tenors (and a few others before the Kamakas too). Anyone have a catalog of them? He mentioned that one of them was named "Val." And I think the more current ones are Buffy? Any ideas?

Case: Calton Yellow
8229759759_7c1c60110f_z.jpg

Tuner: Peterson Stroboclip

Cable: Analysis Plus Purple I definitely saw a purple when they did a close up on it...not sure if that has changed.

Wireless System: You can see him playing with one of these. Not too many options out there, but perhaps a hardcore gear nerd knows.

Strings: Daddario J71s (they actually did a close up on these)

Geared Tuners: Ebony Gilberts

Pickup: He is a Fishman sponsored artist. Would have to assume he is playing the Matrix Infinity??

Strap: Heard this one is custom made...but looks like a modified one... wonder what strap he used as the base for it.

Pedals: I saw a few, including some sort of Line6, but am no expert in pedals...someone out there must be!
Amps/Monitors: I saw some sort of Marshall in there.

Watch: Tag Heuer Aquaracer Day Date (I am a watch-guy, so we notice these kinds of things.)
http://www.amazon.com/TAG-Heuer-WAF2010-BA0818-Aquaracer-Automatic/dp/B001CRLFUO
jomashop_2262_693070744

Knife: Shun 7" Classic Santoku (I'm also a knife guy...and at least that's what I think he was using.)
Shun-DM0718-Classic-7-Inch-Santoku-Hollow-Ground-Knife.jpg

Emory Board? He has mentioned this as an important part of his routine to get better tone/attack.

Necklace: ??? I've wondered this one for a good time now.
Ring: ???
Hats: Brixtons???
Wallet chain :
(From back in the day when he used to rock that)

Any to add? I'm sure there are some with a good eye out there!

im a watch guy too. I actually prefer digital
or wind up mechanical analog watches I either
wear a timex silver tone digital dress watch
or a luch wind up.

aside from ukes my other passion is watches
nice to see another guy in love with watches
and ukes.

Top Bottom