slot head tenors, are they headstock heavy or nothing different to notice?

I own two tenors. One is a slot head and the other is not. I notice no difference in head weight. The slot head (MP) does have very tiny Gotoh tuners. Don't know how much less they might weigh compared to more commonly used tuners.

I own two tenors. One is a slot head and the other is not. I notice no difference in head weight. The slot head (MP) does have very tiny Gotoh tuners. Don't know how much less they might weigh compared to more commonly used tuners.

Gotoh Stealth: 11.9g
Waverly Ebony: 22.3g

However, you have to compare the same uke as the balance could be different between the two ukes. Balance is probably more important.

I have played some slotheads that were factory made that were quite heavy. But, other than that, when made properly, they are super lookin and don't really mess with the balance.

My Mainland slot head is a little heavier than my Mainland paddle head - but not so much as to noticeably affect the balance. Both are comfortable to play. One problem that I did have with an 8-string slot head was that the nearest tuners were so close to the nut and sat out so wide that they really interfered with some of the chords like the E7. They didn't stop me from making it, but occasionally I'd nock one of the strings out of tune if I wasn't real careful.

John

Top Bottom