Stores

smorisi

Reaction score
I'm a guitar player fooling around with an inexpensive baritone uke. I like it but would like to purchase something better (i.e. stays in tune, has nice sound)
I'm in Queens, New York...is there a store that would have a selection of baritones?
From reading on the internet i think i would like something like the oscar schmidt ou55ce...but i wouldlike to try it out.
Thanks for any help

I just got me a harmony baritone for 75.00...threw some new strings on and I just love it..be patient and wait for deals on craigslist and the marketplaces like here and Fmm
BTW welcome to the UU forums.... have you EVM in the city....I used to live upper west side....Good Luck....:)

Welcome to UU!

Well, you're the one living in Queens, so I'll let you do your own homework in that regard. ;)

What's your budget? As for affordable brands, I'd suggest also looking into Kala and Ohana, both offer quality instruments at their price points.

But there are few B&M stores these days that carry a wide selection of ukes, let alone baris.

You'll probably be better off buying online, even though you don't get to play it first. Listen to samples, read reviews, call the seller and ask questions.

Keep an eye on the Marketplace here, good deals pop up often (says the lady who just bought her fifth uke from here :eek:). Look at your local craigslist, too.

If there's a nearby uke group (check meetup.com) you should go and meet other ukers, most of whom are more than willing to share their opinions and let you try their ukes. Different sizes, prices, brands, woods... it'll help you get a better grasp on what's out there.

Have you tried a tenor yet? I came to uke from guitar as well and my favorite size is tenor. Baris are more guitar-like. When I play uke, I want it to be more like a uke than a guitar. I do like my bari, but play tenors much more often.

Budget $300-$400

Meetup.com sounds like a good idea
I have tried a tenor. Do you use a low G string on yours?
Thanks for the feedback

If you have the time (and funds), you could hang out with your uke at the NY Uke Fest next weekend. Even if other attendees don't bring their own baris, there should be several vendors showing their wares.

Top Bottom