Noobie string question

Pikagirl

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have been happily playing my and learning on my Makala dolphin, but I wonder about strings.

I asked the local music store for Aquillas but they sent me Martin clear fluorocarbons. Before I head back to exchange them, how do the Martins rate? Should I stick with nylon over wound strings?

Ack! So much to figure out!

I just changed my strings a few hours ago, from Aquila (nylgut) to Fremont Blacklines (fluorocarbon). Not sure about your Dolphin but on my Luna Honu, the Aquila strings were kinda 'meh'. mm stan (a fellow UUer) thinks the Fremonts are similar to Aquilas but I think they're better. :p Still waiting for the strings to finish stretching. I want to try Martin M600s once I have them. :)

I say, try out the Martins, if you don't like them, restring with Aquilas!

I like trying different types of strings so I wouldn't bother exchanging them. I usually keep a set of Aquilas on hand in case I don't like a set of new strings on my Dolphin (which has happened twice -- I did not like Ko'olau Mahanas and I really, really did not like Ko'olau Alohis -- but on the bright side I've gotten much better at changing strings). I currently have Ko'olau Golds on my Dolphin and I like them a lot, although they take a long time to settle in.

I would get the Aquilas and try the Martins also. Even if you like the Martins you will need new strings eventually. Let me know what you think of the Martins on your Dolphin if you do try them! I would like to try them myself.

Oh, and welcome to UU! What color is your Dolphin? (Mine is metallic blue.)

I have the Candy Apple Red (as much as I love purple, the lavender did nothing for me) dolphin.

Are the golds metal or nylon?

So far I have only discovered 2 types of strings that I love--one is Living Water, the other is Martin. Both are fluorocarbon strings, and imho make the ukes sound very clear. Aquila and Worth make the ukes sound muddy compared to them.

My suggestion is to give Martin a try. They are much thinner and easier on the fingers than Aquila.

I would put the Martin strings on - I think on Dolphins the number of people who rave about Martin fluorocarbons about equals the number who rave about Aquilas.

John

Ooh! Candy apple red! That's a nice, cheerful color for making some music! :music:

The Ko'olau Golds are nylon. I like them but not everyone does. I hope it's not just because they are yellow (my favorite color, but I got the blue Dolphin because I thought it would look nice with yellow stuff, which it does). I do think the Golds sound nice, though. My playing style is sort of laid back and I think they work for me.

I'm looking forward to trying the Martins next. I have heard good things about them, in general and on Dolphins in particular. I have mixed feelings about the Aquilas -- I'm less enamoured than most -- but I keep them on hand because they are decent, and they don't take as long to come into form as Golds. Interested to hear what you think.

By the way, you should take John's (that's Oldephart) advice seriously. He has studied the Dolphin more than anyone else on earth. He dissected one once, and he put the videos on YouTube.

I'm took John's advice and put on the Martins. They really changed the sound (in a good way). I'll report bam on how long to get them into shape. :)

image.jpg

Mr. Data's protecting my uke from wandering family members while things stretch and settle. ;)

By the way, you should take John's (that's Oldephart) advice seriously. He has studied the Dolphin more than anyone else on earth. He dissected one once, and he put the videos on YouTube.

I'd say that's going a little far. LOL Actually, that's the only Dolphin I've ever owned and that for only a couple of weeks. I never got any further than putting Aquilas on it after touching up the frets and nut a bit. So, no personal experience with Martins on the Dolphin, but I've liked Martins on most ukes that I have tried them on.

BTW, Aquila strings tuned up to D on the Dolphin is a combo that I liked enough to buy my first (other than the Dolphin) soprano after the Dolphin went off to the contest winner and I discovered that I missed not having a soprano around!

John

I'm took John's advice and put on the Martins. They really changed the sound (in a good way). I'll report bam on how long to get them into shape. :)

View attachment 53491

Mr. Data's protecting my uke from wandering family members while things stretch and settle. ;)

Oooh! Mr. Data is a very large cat. Is he a panther? He's awesome. And the candy apple red 'uke looks lovely with him.

Thanks for letting us know about the Martins! I will have to try them.

Oooh! Mr. Data is a very large cat. Is he a panther? He's awesome. And the candy apple red 'uke looks lovely with him.

Thanks for letting us know about the Martins! I will have to try them.

In his dreams he's a panther. ;)

You should see his brother, Odin, who is much longer than Mr. Data.

That is the most wonderful-looking red Dolphin! Even better than my own! I think Mr. Data needs his own Dolphin.

BTW - I like Martin M600 strings on mine, but I have many different kinds that I haven't tried yet.

Love the Martin fluorocarbons on my sopranos. Once they settle in they stay in tune well and last a long time.

I would put the Martin strings on - I think on Dolphins the number of people who rave about Martin fluorocarbons about equals the number who rave about Aquilas.

John

:agree:
Not to mention the people like me, who go back and forward between them. When my Aquila (concert) strings on my Dolphin need to be changed, I put Martins on, and when they need to be changed, I put Aquila (again, concerts, they sound much better on the Dolphin IMHO) on. Etcetera, etcetera.

Top Bottom