Thread: Mini Tiwi, tuning question

Default Mini Tiwi, tuning question

So I received my awesome little uke & got in a little practice in between a hectic work schedule (FUN!)
    But now it needs to be tuned, & I don't understand what the builder said. He is on vacation in HI, so I can't get an in depth (dumbed down lol) explanation. Here is what he sent me
    "the uke is tuneable to a regular gCEA but seem too flimsy unless is at a third octave C tuning. the neck is just too short to be able to handle the correct tension of normal tuning gcea. what ive been using is an A tuning. basically a 5 full step up from a regular C."
    Any help would be much appreciated :-)

Sound like he wants you to tune it up to cFAD
    "You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. " - Crash Davis

Hmmm, A tuning would be eAC#F# which is 5 diatonic steps up from C - CDEFGA - but technically 4.5 steps chromatically (9 semitones). Dang, how small is this thing?!?
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS O Warm/Worth B

Jim's Blog

Any pictures..and is the tone bright....and how bright...yes using altered tuning to find the right combo to adjust the voice and tone of your uke....
    whether it raised or dropped...play with it in every half step...what is the length of the scale? anyways congrats and good luck happy strummings
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

Quote Originally Posted by Laurpud View Post
    So I received my awesome little uke & got in a little practice in between a hectic work schedule (FUN!)
    But now it needs to be tuned, & I don't understand what the builder said. He is on vacation in HI, so I can't get an in depth (dumbed down lol) explanation. Here is what he sent me
    "the uke is tuneable to a regular gCEA but seem too flimsy unless is at a third octave C tuning. the neck is just too short to be able to handle the correct tension of normal tuning gcea. what ive been using is an A tuning. basically a 5 full step up from a regular C."
    My guess is that the scale is somewhere around 11"...is that about right? With these mini ukes I've heard of people using a whole bunch of different tunings. The gauge of the strings will probably be a determining factor in where you want to to tune it. Thicker strings would probably be fine in standard tuning or tuned up to D. People that use a lighter gauge strings tune up to Eb, E, or F.

Like others have said, tune it to what feels/sounds good to you and experiment with a few different tunings. Hope you love it. Those Tiwi's are really cool looking!

Hi Lauri!!

just sent you the video that i was suppose to upload some time ago . hope it helps a bit. sorry im all over the place.

John

video

Quote Originally Posted by Laurpud View Post
    Aloha Lauri,
    I have a uke dropped tuned because it is way too bright to....E +20/+30, A +20, C#+10, F# 0/+10 or E +20, A 0/+10, C# O, F# 0/-10
    of course you could try....E,A, C#, F# +20 and E-10, A-10, C# 0/-10, F# 0/-10 let me know how it works...I have other tuning if it does not work or warm up your uke....good Luck
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

Thread Information