Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OU2E: Fixable by me?

Default OU2E: Fixable by me?

So I got an Oscar Schmidt OU2E at my local music store and did not notice in the noisy store that there is something NOT QUITE RIGHT about the sound... I thought adding Aquilas would help, and it did, but there's still something off...it's just not fun to play. I keep going back to my blue Mahalo.

I think I have traced it to the fact that the A string's kind of buzzy. I found instructions on the internet of how to use a straightedge to check if the frets are level and found that the sixth fret, under the E and A strings only, is higher than the surrounding frets. (Short edge of a credit card over the fifth, sixth and seventh frets will rock back and forth with the sixth fret as a fulcrum.)

Internet videos about guitar setup show a guy using a big flat file to level all frets on a guitar but that seems overkill for one slightly high fret. It does not seem loose or not totally seated. What can I do to get it down to the level of the other frets? Without totally murdering the instrument? Something involving sandpaper and/or steel wool?

Please and thank you for any assistance.

That same thing is happening to me now! I have the same model, and the plug for the pickup just popped out of it's socket two weeks after i bought it...

How much did the sound change after you re-stringed with aquilas?

Before you start filing it could be that that fret simply became a bit loose and worked its way high. It happens and it doesn't take much. The fix for it is to tap the offending fret in with a small hammer. If it truly is too high, a small file or sand paper backed with something straight should level it after hitting it with some steel wool.
    If it were me, I would just return it to the store.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by katreetrunk View Post
    That same thing is happening to me now! I have the same model, and the plug for the pickup just popped out of it's socket two weeks after i bought it...

How much did the sound change after you re-stringed with aquilas?
    Yeah, I had to tighten the plug thing too. Luckily it had not come completely undone.

It sounded better, sweeter, with the new strings, because I like that kind of string, but it did not address the main problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    Before you start filing it could be that that fret simply became a bit loose and worked its way high. It happens and it doesn't take much.
    Thanks... Would I be able to see a gap if that were the problem though? Or movement when pressing on it real hard? I see neither.

The ends of the frets are a bit sharp too.

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    If it were me, I would just return it to the store.
    Hmmm, I think I have kept it past the return period. Foolish.

Taking it back would probably be the easiest option, but it's not that hard to fix yourself. As Chuck said, you can file or sand it down to level relatively easily, but you won't be able to re-crown the fret unless you have a special crowning file. You can get them in different sizes from Stew-Mac. The cheaper ones are about $30 and they're good to have on hand, if you're a uke do-it-yourselfer.

I would start out like someone said and bring it back to the store and tell them the exact story you told here and show them the high fret. Show them how it buzzes. Ask them for some help. Be real friendly and find a salesperson you might recognize and start out by saying. "I am so glad you are working today because I really need your help".

Remember it's not their fault, but they sure can help you. Treat them like you would want to be treated if you were them and someone brought in a bum uke. They might have a luthier fix it for free or replace it. Maybe OS has a return policy.

You should also do as sugested to make sure the fret is seated.also look at it close to make sure it is not loose, get a magnifier and press on it with something hard like wood or plastic and make sure it doesn't move.

While up at the mountains my old guitar started buzzing on the low E at the thrid fret. It was driving me nuts, I carry a dimond nail file in my string bag. It filed the high fret down with no problem and left a nice finish. I was even abel to get a small crown, casue it was so thin.

Thanks for all the advice, everybody! I really think it's too late to return but maybe someone at the store could help me out with a repair anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by koalohapaul View Post
    Taking it back would probably be the easiest option, but it's not that hard to fix yourself. As Chuck said, you can file or sand it down to level relatively easily, but you won't be able to re-crown the fret unless you have a special crowning file. You can get them in different sizes from Stew-Mac. The cheaper ones are about $30 and they're good to have on hand, if you're a uke do-it-yourselfer.
    koa, not true. I have crowned frets using a 2"X2" piece of maple with a groove in it the radius of the fret I am crowning. Tape off the sides of the fret with blue tape and get some 320, 600, 1000 sandpaper and round that baby off to a high polished finish!
    Dude...it's a ukulele! www.dudeitsaukulele.com

E-Lo,

Definitely works! I was thinking that it would be easier for anniekate to buy a file, though. There's always more than two ways to skin a cat, but crowning may be difficult for a beginner. Especially if they're only doing one fret and have never done it before.

Thread Information