Great Hawaiian Chicken Huli Huli Recipe...enjoy

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Turn! Turn! Turn! How to make Huli-Huli Chicken.
HAWAII Magazine reader Walter Brown of San Francisco e-mailed us:

How can I obtain the original Ernie Morgado recipe—not the bottled stuff— for authentic Huli-Huli Chicken? Can you send it to me?

First off, we'll just say that we understand Walter's desire for the recipe.

Huli-Huli Chicken is one of those great "only-in-Hawaii" foods. In 1955, Ernest Morgado of Pacific Poultry barbecued his version of teriyaki chicken for a farmers gathering.

The chicken was such a hit, it became a favorite Hawaii fundraiser, raising perhaps millions over the ensuing years for schools, softball teams and hula halau (hula groups).

The chicken was cooked between two grills. The grills had to be flipped over. And since huli is the Hawaiian word for turn, thus was born the name Huli-Huli Chicken.

Huli-Huli chicken all but disappeared after Morgado asserted his rights to the trademark, and started marketing a bottled sauce under that name.

Of course, you can still buy Huli-Huli-style chicken in the Islands, practically anywhere you see billows of great-smelling smoke emanating from a large roadside grill. It won’t be called Huli-Huli Chicken. But that's pretty much what it is.

Morgado’s exact recipe is a trade secret. But here’s my personal recipe, which, if you ask me, is better.

This is a marinade recipe, so don’t be fussy about measuring. Jus’ do ‘em to taste.

The recipe is enough for about three chickens, split in half. You can use chicken pieces if that’s what you have. Marinate your chicken for at least a half-hour.

1/3 cup ketchup

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup sherry

1-2 Tbsp. sesame oil

1-2-more pieces ginger root, crushed

3 cloves garlic, crushed

Worchestershire sauce to taste

Sriracha or Asian chili paste (or red pepper flakes) to taste

Squeeze a lemon in if you've got one

Brush the chicken with the remaining marinade while cooking over a grill. And don't forget to huli the chicken.

Sounds yummy Stan! Might try this on the grill tonight. Thanks for passing it on...I'm always looking for a new recipe for the grill!
Cheers!

I was just thinking about how I should cook this chicken in the fridge tonight. Problem solved.

Kauai Wild Chicken Recipe:

1 whole chicken (approx 3 pounds)
1 large rock (approx 3 pounds)
1 large onion, diced
3 carrots, cut into chunks
2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns

Place chicken, rock and other ingredients into large pot; add sufficient water to cover.
Put lid on pot and bring to boil.
When rock is tender, chicken is cooked.

Kauai Wild Chicken Recipe:

1 whole chicken (approx 3 pounds)
1 large rock (approx 3 pounds)
1 large onion, diced
3 carrots, cut into chunks
2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns

Place chicken, rock and other ingredients into large pot; add sufficient water to cover.
Put lid on pot and bring to boil.
When rock is tender, chicken is cooked.

I rather enjoyed that!

Be nice....or I'll Delete the recipe..... I mean it....

Thanks Stan, much faster than my teriyaki chicken recipe.

. . . and no, I'm not THAT Yoshida:)

Ho Brah, gotta try dat . . . and it's not just for chicken, trust me!

Thanks Stan, much faster than my teriyaki chicken recipe.

. . . and no, I'm not THAT Yoshida:)
Gary, never crossed my mind till you mentioned it. Hmmmmm . . . nahhhhhhhh! I use Yoshida, it's a great sauce however I do add other ingredients to my taste.

Ha Ha Gary and Danny...Yes never knew there was Yoshida brand sauce...must be a mainland brand.....hmmmm I knew they trademark the name....
there was some rumor someone else got it...not sure anybody know.....that would be really nasty bad...

Stan, the Yoshida sauce is one dat comes really close when comparing to sauces back home and with a little tweaking here and there . . . it works!

Stan, the Yoshida sauce is one dat comes really close when comparing to sauces back home and with a little tweaking here and there . . . it works!

I usually add more garlic, some ginger, green onion and reduce it a little by simmering. Then soak the chicken overnight.

Thanks Stan for the recipe. I love good variations of homemade teriyaki and BBQ sauces especially with such a great story from Hawaii. I will definitely try this one. I will try your rock soup too Kanaka looks like mirepoix and pepper stone soup.

Last edited:
I usually add more garlic, some ginger, green onion and reduce it a little by simmering. Then soak the chicken overnight.
Yea, I usually dilute a little then add the ingredients you mentioned as well as honey, brown sugar and sesame oil all of that to taste. I'll marinate for 2 days or so. Great with pork and beef as well.

Yea, I usually dilute a little then add the ingredients you mentioned as well as honey, brown sugar and sesame oil all of that to taste. I'll marinate for 2 days or so. Great with pork and beef as well.
Aloha Kamaka,
I make my adobo sauce similiar for chicken halves... Aloha shoyu sauce....add cider or red wine vinegar....I like red wine vinegar to taste, black pepper, bay leaves, chopped garlic, pinch sugar...
stir and marinate chicken halves a 4-6 hours or over night... grill on the charcoal stove or on a sheet pan in the oven at 450 degrees....

Last edited:
Aloha brah....Kikkoman is way too strong....Aloha shoyu da best.....

I like Yamasa.

Aloha is good, but tastes like watered down Kikkoman to me. Yamasa has a smoothness to it that appeals to me more. Especially their Tamari sauce. Aloha is my second choice. Moves to first when in Hawaiia:)

Going to try this with Quorn fillets and a vegetarian version of Worcestershire Sauce (pronounced "wuster" by the way), as it has Anchovies in it. Cheers Stan :)

While we're on the subject (ok, we're not, but this is as good a time as any, because I can hear all the Americans pronouncing "Worcestershire" in my head). "Shire" when at the end of a place name, is not pronounced "shy-er". It should be pronounced "sher". So the next time you meet an Englishman at a bar, and you pronounce the county he's from correctly, you'll have made a friend :)

For example, I'm from Derbyshire, which is pronounced "Darbysher" with the stress on the first syllable.

Anyway...back to the chicken...

How offended will you be if I try to adapt this into a vegetarian recipe? Honestly though, this sounds pretty tasty thanks for taking the time to share it.

Top Bottom